08 LR3 long lasting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be picking up my new 08 LR3 in a few days, and I have some questions. In quality how does it compare to a 2008 Toyota Sequoia. I drive about 35,000 per year. I am financing the LR3 for 72 months, so will this vehicle hold up to 210,000 over 6 years without any major issues, engine, suspension, tranny, etc compared to the Toyota?

oakley-mra125

Reaction score
To be polite, it's not a toyota. It might last but the cost of up keep will be much higher. Extend the warranty as long as you can. Even if it seems to costly.

With out a warranty these cars will nickle and dime you.

But at the same time I currently own a FFRR and a LR3, plus I've owned a P38 and a Disco 2. I did get rid of all of them long before 50k, but every one has or had thousands in repair costs. Thankfully all covered by warranty.

Good luck

cdodkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current LR3 model is vasty better than previous LR vehicles - you should be in great shape

I do more miles than you a year, and I've had my 08 LR3 since summer - nice to report no major issues to date (23,000 miles)

Warranty is probably good for any long term purchase - I will be considering extending mine as I get towards the end of the existing one.

Compared to the LR3, my D2 is a truck, with oil leaks and a lack of finesse.

Still love it though! :)

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a less carbon intensive vehicle - we just got 12.5 mpg this tank, yippee!

ronLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current LR3 model is vasty better than previous LR vehicles - you should be in great shape)

Currently I own a 2008 Toyota Sequoia that I'm not happy with. The Toyota is excellent in bad weather and climbing rough mtn roads in deep snow. I need a vehicle that has the roominess for the driver, and when I test droke the LR3, it was very roomy for my 6'4" & hefty size compared to the sequoia.

However, I spend 2 hours daily in my commute highway mostly, and sitting in traffic. So i need something that will be reliable, capable & that I fit into. It also needs to be a great 4WD to get me out of my 1/2 mile long driveway in the winter plowing through deep snow.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a less carbon intensive vehicle - we just got 12.5 mpg this tank, yippee!

Wow is this pure city driving or ? I'm averaging anywhere between 14-16mpg with mixed but mostly city driving...

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winter conditions (and a very cold one), winter blend fuel (worse econ), and 100% around town by mamma and kids. Usually manage all of 13! Summer, was as high as 14-15 with in town driving, maybe 17 once on a long trip IIRC.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14.5 mostly suburban city...
Back to the question, the LR3 seems to be much improved over the past vehicles. But it is has many systems that are much more advanced than the Sequoia (read expensive if they break). Obviously based on your two choices there is more to your decision than practicality - passion counts for something and the Sequoia gives you none. If your worried about the fixes, buy a slightly used one, save $10k and use that to offset any repairs. In the long run, it won't really matter if you have 210,000 miles or 225000.
My $.02

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto. Depreciation is a big hit, and starting with 10,000 miles to get another 200000 is meaningless in the big picture. I like the save for repairs idea, but they'll be costly later for sure.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We dipped down below 12 MPG last week; wife had the truck all week doing 100% city driving. She usually works from about 6:00am to 10:00am, so it's not rush hour - just stop & go in the city. Winter gas around here is terrible, and I'm having a hard time finding gas without added ethanol.

On the positive side, I have done 21MPG over the course of an hour or so on the highway. Unfortunately I was at the start of an 8 hour long trip and could only keep the speed around 65MPH for one our (driving through Toronto). Once I hit the "open" highway again (and 85mph), things dropped down to a solid 16.5 MPGs; I figured this was "ok" given the excellent aerodynamics of the LR3.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4