1,000 mile review / Nitto Terra Grappler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on a new set of tires and decided on the terra grapplers, 255/60/18. Overall they are excellent and I'm very happy with the purchase. We've been hit with two fairly decent snow storms so I had a chance for some first hand experience in ice, snow, slush, water and dry pavement in the last month, giving me a good sense for what these tires can do. The previous tires were Toyo Proxxes, completely out of character with a LR in my opinion, and I'm very happy to have a set of capable tires now on the truck.

Performance: These tires easily chewed through very snowy and icy conditions. I had the car out in at least a foot of snow on the roads and it handled like a dream. I drove cautiously but felt in control - no slipping, spinning etc. They have also felt grippy on icy and slushy roads. When pulling into the garage, I did notice some snow built up in the treads but didn't notice any decrease in performance because of treads being gummed up. I have also taken the truck onto sandy access roads at the beach - some deep and soft, some hard-packed. Again, they handled this well and I felt confident I wasn't going to get stuck.

Noise: I haven't noticed anything worth mentioning as an increase in road noise. My previous tires were more street tire oriented without deep tread and I hardly notice a difference.

Gas mileage: I haven't noticed any decrease in gas mileage. I drive the car fairly conservatively so keep that in mind.

Handling: The tires don't feel sloppy in turns and I feel about the same amount of roll as I would have with the Toyos.

Looks: The look is awesome! They have a somewhat aggressive profile that looks great with the LR, without taking away from the refined good looks that the truck has. Bonus - because of the deep tread I probably gained a half-inch in clearance.

In some reviews I've read, I've seen complaints about how the tire doesn't last many miles but it's too early to say how true that is.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine for going on 30k, I love them! I'll probably get another 10k from them...which is plenty long. I've got them on my Jeep too.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're the one who recommended them to me, thanks for the good advice!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, cool! Glad you like them. I'll definitely get another set.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully Nitto makes them in 19" to fit our HSE some day. I have to run Cooper Zeon LTZ's in summer for the beach and Nokian Hakka's for winter.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul, how do you like those Hakkas? Have you had them in snow, slush, ice, etc? How did they perform? How many miles and how are they holding up?

Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're on our second set of Nokian Hakka R SUV winter tires and they are great. We put the majority of mileage on our LR3 in the winter with weekend ski trips. First set was probably half worn with 20K miles on them, but that was enough wear to reduce traction.

They are quiet, handle well on dry, only complaint might be some hydroplaning in deep water or really wet slush. Most important, they provide excellent braking and turning on snow and ice. The LR3 never has a problem with traction, it's all about stopping and turning all that weight on slippery roads.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paul. I'd heard that about the hydroplaning on slush...I guess if it's just hydroplaning and not slipping and sliding, I can handle that. The fact that' it's your SECOND set says it all !

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our neighbor has an LR4 with pretty worn OE Conti's. We had a snow storm that dropped 20" of heavy wet snow causing trees and power lines to fall all around us. My neighbor got stuck in his driveway trying to go and pick up his elderly parents that were without power. So we took our LR3 with the Nokians and made it there and back just fine. Same with a recent ride back from skiing where the road was solid packed ice. We were the only vehicle able to drive in the left lane while others were in ditches and hugging guard rails. I will live with the Nokian slush issue to have the amazing snow and ice traction.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM