18" Compomotive with BFG A/T KO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks sweet and this really makes my offroad tire selection challenging. Go spacers and 18" rims to get a 33 or stay stockish with compos and stick to 31".

Decisions, decisions....

Only reason for getting spacers with 18s is if you don't want to shell out the money for the Comps and want to recycle older 18" wheels off a LR3 instead. Otherwise, the choices in tires / lifts are the same.

Nice setup TLB!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason for getting spacers with 18s is if you don't want to shell out the money for the Comps and want to recycle older 18" wheels off a LR3 instead. Otherwise, the choices in tires / lifts are the same.

Nice setup TLB!

Got it, thanks!

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anyone storing a second setup of wheel / tires in the garage that have TPMS' installed? I will have a dedicated set of wheels / tires for offroad ventures so my wife does chew through BFG's around town. If I store the second set in the garage, will that pose any issues with the computer trying to recognize which set up is installed?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set, but they are 15' away. I doubt it would be an issue. They have to be pretty close.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say I am really impressed by the performance of my 275/60R18 Yoko Geolandar AT/S off-road thus far. They may not be the sexiest looking A/Ts out there, but they get the job done. I just spent 3 glorious days in Death Valley with our local LR club, and we got pretty nasty weather for 2 of them, including several incredible snow blizzards on top of some passes (snow blizzards in Death Valley... I never thought I'd see those. :biggrin:)

Over some pretty gnarly, slippery and soaking wet / snowy trails, my Yokos never faltered. They maintained excellent traction throughout, only giving in a little on icy passes - which we all negotiated at extremely low speeds, as most of us were slipping and sliding regardless of tires.

On the way back home, they were as quiet as they've always been. I have now about 25K miles on them and it looks like they'll be good for at least another 25. Very happy so far.

Here is a short video from my dash and rear window cams of a particularly steep (and slippery for the occasion...), rocky section of the trail climbing up Echo Canyon, in the southeastern portion of the park. Other vehicles had quite a bit of trouble maintaining traction on that stretch of slippery rocks, mine just rode right up.

Echo Canyon - Waterfall - YouTube

Last edited:

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice video Umberto. I know that spot very well. Did you go through all the way to Nevada and the dunes on the other end?

Any more vid's?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice video, Umberto - love your camera set up. Looks like your tires did an awesome job - very nice area. I hope to make that run someday.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, we ended up in Beatty and then drove up to Gold Point Ghost Town, where we had a scrumptuous steak dinner and spent the night. That place is a riot! The saloon alone is worth a visit, free flowing whiskey and the most colorful town "sheriff" to entertain you, it felt like I had stepped into an old western movie. The following morning we woke up under crystal clear skies with snowcapped mountains all around us, it was truly magical. I love Death Valley.

We skipped the dunes as it got late, right after me a Disco 2 broke a driveshaft on that rocky stretch and it took a while to replace it (the owner actually travels with a spare driveshaft in his trunk, lol), so our schedule went down the tubes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99