18" Compomotive with BFG A/T KO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Today I had my 18" Compomotive wheels and BFG A/T KO (265/65R18) tires installed and they look great. See the photos below.

I am a little annoyed because my independent Land Rover garage could not seem to use my old TPMS, so I opted to just forget them and use a regular valve stem. I thought since I have the IIDTool I can clear the TPMS warning. The garage said they just could not get a seal with the TPMS, but I am still a little confused because I thought maybe they would have new seals to use. I actually prefer not to have TPMS, but I don't want the alerts popping up every time I drive the truck. They said I can order new TPMS and they can install them for me later, which I may end up doing (not sure). Also, I did not install my stock center caps yet because they were very loose, so I had ordered the ones that mbw did - hopefully they are tighter. I should receive them tomorrow and will pop them in the center cap holes. Question for Umbertob and mbw - what type of adhesive did you use?

My biggest question is about the TPMS alerts - I haven't received any yet on the dash?!? So, right now I have no TPMS installed on the wheels, but so far I haven't received any alerts and I've driven about 4-5 miles (not highway). Is that normal? Is it because I don't have TPMS installed on the wheels/tires? Maybe it still will pop up, but weird it hasn't yet. I actually hope it doesn't, because I don't really want TPMS, but will get them if I can't turn off the alerts with the IIDTool.

Sorry for the long-winded questions, but here are the photos - will take more later (best I could do for now):

8B-5C32D96D5F6E-16706-000008A340AC1A0F_zpsa63b138a.jpg

67-E6D9FBC6EEE8-16706-000008A2E3E6097A_zps1c225a49.jpg

06-C27AA5837F52-16706-000008A34BE543AF_zps53801b34.jpg

52-E8A6F1ABB4F8-16706-000008A2FE9948E6_zps85166b08.jpg

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they should have installed the sensors with a new seal kit, it's customary to discard the old o-rings and install new ones every time you reinstall TPMS sensors as they are almost guaranteed to leak otherwise (America's Tire charges you a small fee for this kit, for example.) The TPMS fault is probably going to pop up some time tomorrow, not enough driving around today for the system to hunt for your sensors and decide they aren't there anymore.

Wheels look great! Still not a big fan of the white lettering personally, but those tires look badass. Well done David!

PS: Sorry, I just read your question about adhesive for the hubcaps, I used a tiny bead of Permatex Form-A-Gasket non-hardening pliable sealant on the teeth of each cap. If your caps are as loose as mine were, you'll need it.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they should have installed the sensors with a new seal kit, it's customary to discard the old o-rings and install new ones every time you reinstall TPMS sensors as they are almost guaranteed to leak otherwise (America's Tire charges you a small fee for this kit, for example.) The TPMS fault is probably going to pop up some time tomorrow, not enough driving around today for the system to hunt for your sensors and decide they aren't there anymore.

Wheels look great! Still not a big fan of the white lettering personally, but those tires look badass. Well done David!

PS: Sorry, I just read your question about adhesive for the hubcaps, I used a tiny bead of Permatex Form-A-Gasket non-hardening pliable sealant on the teeth of each cap. If your caps are as loose as mine were, you'll need it.
Thanks, Umberto!

I struggled with white in or out, but chose out in the end just because I have a white truck. Otherwise, I would have definitely put the white lettering on the inside. You know, I may go to a tire place that does a lot of these because I thought that they should change the O-ring seal, but he said he didn't have any and it shouldn't need it. It definitely was leaking quite a bit, so I opted for the valve stem for now. I can live with the TPMS alert (when it pops up) for now, but I still think I can use my stock TPMS and just have them replace the seal. I am going to give that a try.

Who knows, I may also have them switch my white lettering to inside since I like it, but still up in the air - haha!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks! My stock black/silver caps were very loose - I would definitely need the adhesive. I did order the same black/silver caps that mbw did, so I am waiting to see if those are a bit tighter.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wheels and tires look great David. I'm a little bit jealous ;)

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be a bit biased (haha), but those tires look great! Congrats David, can't wait to see some off road pics with the new shoes!

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi David,
It was a long journey for both of us.
Personally I like white lettering outside . It looks nice with your white truck. I would keep it this way.
I am one step behind you and will be ordering my tires at the end of the week. I thought about waiting one more week but after seeing your pictures I can not wait any longer.
Our cars should come with this set up from the factory.
How is driving in access mode?

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great buddy! When i purchased my second set of caps, the dealer gave me some putty to keep them locked in. So far works great and I am not worried about the caps melting and falling off in this heat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72