18" Compomotive with BFG A/T KO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, ordered it from tpmsdirect.com and just pop on the sensors as they come and it works flawlessly with the Compos.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my situation may be different than yours. I have very heavy front and rear bumpers, not to mention another 500 lbs of steel protecting the under body. my weight distribution is really close so i keep it right @ 42x42.
About your rotation: i have a fifth wheel so i always do a 5 tire rotation just to get maximum use out of my tires. Here is a link for specific tire rotation. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&
And a few pics
Thank you SO much!!!

This is extremely helpful. I appreciate your input. I don't have a front bumper, but do have some underbody protection, a full-roof rack, with a bit of weight on the roof - so it's definitely heavier than stock.

I plan to rotate often - at least every 5,000 miles.

So you recommend 42 front / 42 back.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, ordered it from tpmsdirect.com and just pop on the sensors as they come and it works flawlessly with the Compos.
Thanks so much!

If they can't get mine to work with the rebuild kit, then I will just order from the TPMS direct.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still going to stick with my choice and recommend the Goodyear Silent Armors. They are also bi-directional so I can rotate them from side to side and keep the sidewall wear more even.

I'm just sayin... I still can't see why the BFG is a better choice. Rated 4th in On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Tires category on tirerack, vs 6th for the T/A KO

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still going to stick with my choice and recommend the Goodyear Silent Armors. They are also bi-directional so I can rotate them from side to side and keep the sidewall wear more even.

I'm just sayin... I still can't see why the BFG is a better choice. Rated 4th in On-/Off-Road All-Terrain Tires category on tirerack, vs 6th for the T/A KO
Hey mbw,

As you know, the GY Silent Armors were right up there on my list - it was a hard choice for me. I've had such great luck with BFGs in the past and love the look that I just decided to give them a try. If I run into issues, I'm jumping over to the GY Silent Armors - for sure. If I cared anything about road noise (which I don't), then it would have been a no brainer for me - the Silent Armors.

I think we both have awesome capable tires - will be great to compare and contrast over time. Plus, knowing me, I'd likely switch at some point anyway and sell my BFGs - I have this OCD nature of going through tires. HAHAHA :)

Please keep me posted as I will you!

-David

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Thread.... Its nice knowing you guys are all going through the same issues i dealt with.... HAHA! Few notes for you guys about the BFG AT's... Do not do circular rotations, its one directional thread. !! And they are quiet in the beginning but they will get loud if you do not rotate them regularly. 5k min.. Also: PSI, your LR4's are very heavy and you will damage the thread if you keep too much rubber to the ground. I highly suggest you drive onroad @ 42-45 PSI, and no less than 20 PSI while rock crawling. Have Fun!

I will be getting my BFG TA KO in few days. I don't think it is a unidirectional tire. It can be mounted white lettering outside or inside.
What did you mean by " one directional thread"? Did you mean specific pattern of tire rotation?

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hi mbw,
I received my compomotive wheels recently and for the last few weeks had a very hard time deciding which tire to chose.
I wanted to stay with stock suspension set up and decided on 265/65R18. After many hours of reading online reviews and talking to people my final two tires were Goodyear Silent Armor and BFG TA KO.
I am in Phoenix area so snow and mud traction were not a propriety. My biggest concern was a strong , puncture resistant sidewall.
I liked Silent Armor but for some reason I did not feel comfortable with standard load index of Silent Armor in this size . (XL index is recommended for LR4.) I may be wrong or maybe I worry too much.
I exchanged multiple messages with David since I knew he was shopping for tires at the same time. I think both of us had a very hard time deciding.
I tired to start a thread about tires for compomotive wheels.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24788
Maybe with time all of us who run AT tires on 18" wheels could submit some info and share experience so in the future it would be easier to decide.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi mbw,
I received my compomotive wheels recently and for the last few weeks had a very hard time deciding which tire to chose.
I wanted to stay with stock suspension set up and decided on 265/65R18. After many hours of reading online reviews and talking to people my final two tires were Goodyear Silent Armor and BFG TA KO.
I am in Phoenix area so snow and mud traction were not a propriety. My biggest concern was a strong , puncture resistant sidewall.
I liked Silent Armor but for some reason I did not feel comfortable with standard load index of Silent Armor in this size . (XL index is recommended for LR4.) I may be wrong or maybe I worry too much.
I exchanged multiple messages with David since I knew he was shopping for tires at the same time. I think both of us had a very hard time deciding.
I tired to start a thread about tires for compomotive wheels.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24788
Maybe with time all of us who run AT tires on 18" wheels could submit some info and share experience so in the future it would be easier to decide.
The XL rating also factored into my decision. Someone I know from my local LR club actually HIGHLY recommended the GY Silent Armor tires, but he had the Pro grade - which are not available in the size I wanted to keep it "stock".

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another note, I installed the center caps - though they do spin a bit (will fix it later).

Beside being a little annoying, anyone think it's harmful to have them spin? I am still working out the TPMS thing, but will fix them with some sealant when they are installed.

D3D-2A921C027AD8-3663-0000027356E37EE5_zps1ed3993a.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99