18" Compomotive with BFG A/T KO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the tpms from the site that umbertob recommended from the other thread. It's roughly $175 for the set but it does the job and no warning light. I actually tried using the stock tpms from the black pack wheels that we both have but apparently it didn't fit on the to Compo wheels. Anyway, the ones I bought worked flawlessly.

As for the centercap, you need these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Range-...d+Rover|Model:LR4&hash=item4cfdab8d87&vxp=mtr

those are the only ones that will snap on securely according to Compo when I ordered the wheels from them couple of years ago. If you are picky like me, the only slight issue is that it's hard to find the exact shade of black to match the wheels. I've tried 4 different spray bottles and still can't find an exact match...luckily it's only annoying when the wheels are clean and the overly dusty OEM brakepads quickly hides the slight hue difference...

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw, love those tires! when i am done with my Maxxis, I will be switching to those exact BFG's.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the tpms from the site that umbertob recommended from the other thread. It's roughly $175 for the set but it does the job and no warning light. I actually tried using the stock tpms from the black pack wheels that we both have but apparently it didn't fit on the to Compo wheels. Anyway, the ones I bought worked flawlessly.

As for the centercap, you need these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Range-...d+Rover|Model:LR4&hash=item4cfdab8d87&vxp=mtr

those are the only ones that will snap on securely according to Compo when I ordered the wheels from them couple of years ago. If you are picky like me, the only slight issue is that it's hard to find the exact shade of black to match the wheels. I've tried 4 different spray bottles and still can't find an exact match...luckily it's only annoying when the wheels are clean and the overly dusty OEM brakepads quickly hides the slight hue difference...
Thanks!!!

Just to confirm, you ordered these TPMS:

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Land_Rover_LR4_TPMS_Sensor_p/1055-20.htm

I was planning to bring the TPMS to a tire place and see if they can install them with a new seal/O-ring kit - so you tried that already? Good to know - if that's the case, I won't even bother. It looks like 5 of the TPMS are around $370+ dollars. Thanks!

Regards, David

Last edited:

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice. I love BFG AT's...I have them on my D1 and have yet to get a flat.

So, no rubbing at stock height or do you always have the suspension adjusted with the IIDtool? Btw, how do you like it?

I was trolling another post the other day...will those tires fit underneath the car (even if you deflate them) or do you have another plan?

Very nice looking truck!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks very nice. I love BFG AT's...I have them on my D1 and have yet to get a flat.

So, no rubbing at stock height or do you always have the suspension adjusted with the IIDtool? Btw, how do you like it?

I was trolling another post the other day...will those tires fit underneath the car (even if you deflate them) or do you have another plan?

Very nice looking truck!
Thanks!

I have been meaning to write a review, but it's been a crazy day! My TPMS alert just went on during my drive home - so that is working! :) I could shut it off with my IIDTool, but I am going to have the TPMS installed, once I figure out if I can use my stock TPMS with a new re-build kit/seal/O-ring. According to LR4TQ above, he could not get the stock sensors to work on the Comp wheels either, not sure if he had them put a new seal/O-ring, but I know mine just would not seal at all. I am going to take my spare wheel to a more experienced tire place, along with one of my TPMS units, and see if they can successfully get a tire to mount. If that doesn't work, I will order new TPMS from the website provided and have them installed. I just want to 100% confirm the ones that LR4TQ ordered.

To answer your question, no, I have not yet used the IIDTool to raise the truck - the tires seem to fit fine at standard height with no rubbing at all - at least in the front. I tried to do some sharp turns, etc. and the back also seem fine. There isn't a lot of room of course, but you can even drive in access mode a bit - though I am sure there could potentially be rubbing. I am not too worried about off roading because I put the truck in off-road height and add the extra height with my IIDTool - so rubbing should be no problem when on the trails. Once I get my wheel nicks repaired, TPMS installed, and get the center caps put in - then I will evaluate if I want to raise it up maybe an inch or so in standard height - not sure yet?

As for the ride quality, it's great. I was surprised at how numble it takes corners, it's actually an improvement over my Coopers - they are nice tires, but are a bit soft it seems. These tires do provide a stiff ride and I like that a lot. It drives and handles very nice, but you can tell the tires are very stiff - almost like the high load rating accomodates the truck quite well - along with all my crap attached. I haven't noticed any noise on the highway (even at 75mph), but I am not he best judge of noise since my rack and boxes are noisy.

All in all, I am very happy with the tires - they look awesome (the picures do not do it justice) and definitely gives the truck a different stand. Not to mention, and most important, these will be highly capable off road and tame on the road.

PS... forgot to mention before (hence the edit) that I do NOT plan to stow my spare under the truck. It does fit, as bushaway showed on his truck, but you really need to deflate it a bit, remove the heat shielding, and it's a very tight fit. The biggest problem I see is that even if you get it up in the bay, removing it to change a flat (heaven forbid on the trails!!!!) may be quite difficult if the tire is stuck. So, I plan to put the spare on the roof likely and just disarm my spare TPMS with my IIDTool.

I will keep everyone posted as I drive a bit more..........

-David

Last edited:

HikeNbike

Reaction score
Great Thread.... Its nice knowing you guys are all going through the same issues i dealt with.... HAHA! Few notes for you guys about the BFG AT's... Do not do circular rotations, its one directional thread. !! And they are quiet in the beginning but they will get loud if you do not rotate them regularly. 5k min.. Also: PSI, your LR4's are very heavy and you will damage the thread if you keep too much rubber to the ground. I highly suggest you drive onroad @ 42-45 PSI, and no less than 20 PSI while rock crawling. Have Fun!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great Thread.... Its nice knowing you guys are all going through the same issues i dealt with.... HAHA! Few notes for you guys about the BFG AT's... Do not do circular rotations, its one directional thread. !! And they are quiet in the beginning but they will get loud if you do not rotate them regularly. 5k min.. Also: PSI, your LR4's are very heavy and you will damage the thread if you keep too much rubber to the ground. I highly suggest you drive onroad @ 42-45 PSI, and no less than 20 PSI while rock crawling. Have Fun!

Good advice. I can also vouch for the 42-45 PSI recommendation on road.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good advice. I can also vouch for the 42-45 PSI recommendation on road.
I am running 38 front / 44 rear.

So should I do the same pressure all 4 tires?

Also, HikeNBike, when you say unidirectional, could you clarify the proper rotation?

Thanks!!!

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running 38 front / 44 rear.

So should I do the same pressure all 4 tires?

Also, HikeNBike, when you say unidirectional, could you clarify the proper rotation?

Thanks!!!

I have a bit more PSI in the rears as well. I think right now I have about 40-42 PSI up front and 44-46 PSI in the rear.

HikeNbike

Reaction score
Well my situation may be different than yours. I have very heavy front and rear bumpers, not to mention another 500 lbs of steel protecting the under body. my weight distribution is really close so i keep it right @ 42x42.
About your rotation: i have a fifth wheel so i always do a 5 tire rotation just to get maximum use out of my tires. Here is a link for specific tire rotation. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=43&
And a few pics

Attachments

• tire_rotation 2.jpg
    tire_rotation 2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 21
  • tire_rotation.jpeg
    tire_rotation.jpeg
    19.9 KB · Views: 115

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members