2 Quirks from recent road trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoyas06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife and I just got back from a road trip and noticed a few things that weren't/didn't seem quite normal. I'd appreciate feedback if anyone else has noticed the same.

1. I've noticed that the steering wheel radio controls don't always function properly. This weekend is the first time I've noticed it. When I go to change my preset stations, after touching the right/left arrow it will jump 2 stations instead of 1. Kind of like it got stuck, but it didn't. Nothing has ever been spilled on the wheel and I cleaned the area best I could. I was wondering if this could be electrical related or, since it's been so hot I've had the AC blasting and the wheel is in a direct line of the left front vent. Could the constant blowing of cold air somehow affect the control?

2. My recent trip was to western PA, so no shortage of hilly roads. It felt like the down shifting was much more noticable or not as smooth as one would expect. Maybe even a slight **** here and there during the downshift when coming to a stop. Also, at times it seemed as though the automatic downshifting was doing more than its fair share of the effort to slow the vehicle down. I've never noticed this before in other cars/SUVs. Is this type of downshifting typical of Land Rovers or could there be an underlying problem.

BTW, vehicle is approx 8 mos old with 7,000 miles

Thanks all

.all

Reaction score
With mine at 4 months old, I have not noticed anything like that on the steering controls. I have noticed a slight delay from when I push it to when it changes. I had to get used to that because my Ford I traded in was immediate. I believe that part is normal though. I wouldn't think the a/c would have anything to do with it, but I could be wrong.

Interesting about the rough downshift, I'm in East Texas so nothing like PA hills and such. Hope someone has some incite on this, it makes me curious.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't experience either of those issues with my LR4. My downshifts were always smooth and held a gear well up any hill I came across other than mountains.

No issues with the wheel mounted controls either.

Rob

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Except for a bit of delay, seems more exaggerated on the touch screen than the steering controls, I haven't experienced anything either.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not experienced either of those issues. The downshifts are extremely smooth.

jsob1970

Reaction score
1. I've noticed that the steering wheel radio controls don't always function properly. This weekend is the first time I've noticed it. When I go to change my preset stations, after touching the right/left arrow it will jump 2 stations instead of 1. Kind of like it got stuck, but it didn't. Nothing has ever been spilled on the wheel and I cleaned the area best I could. I was wondering if this could be electrical related or, since it's been so hot I've had the AC blasting and the wheel is in a direct line of the left front vent. Could the constant blowing of cold air somehow affect the control?

I've recently encountered this same problem with the steering radio controls on trips of one hour or longer. Purchased my LR4 in July 2012.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had those issues and mine is an older 2010. This jag engine is buttery smooth.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the radio issue. It went away the next time I was in my car. I chucked it up to accidentally hitting multiple buttons at once looking for my horn.....

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had different radio issues. Sometimes I will get no sound. It functions properly, but nothing put of the speakers. A restart of the car always fixes the problem. My guess is that all these fancy electronics come back to bite us from time to time.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On long trips with lots of hills and when the transmission gets hot/exhausted the downshifts/kick-down get rough enough. Sometimes get a **** or two. But only on road trips, long hauls. Once the tranny cools it's fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM