2000 disco II barely runs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Angrymike68

Reaction score
New to the site....
My 208,000 mile 4.0l disco II (2000) recently started running bad, it started with a slight fluctuation in the idle and has progressed to the point now that it won't stay running at all. New plugs and wire about 4,000 miles ago, new purge solenoid, repaired a few vacuum leaks etc, never had a problem until recently.
Also has new cyl heads, etc (top end rebuilt)
Please help.!! I'm going nuts with her....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple questions, will is start and run on starting fluid? If so fuel pump is dead or no power.

If it will not start on fluid, spark issues? Do you have access to a spark tester? Clips on to spark plug wire and tells you if you have spark, if yes check spark, if no... check with local autoparts store to see if they can loan you one.

Angrymike68

Reaction score
Has spark and fuel, just won't idle on its own, I cleaned the iac (?) motor about 4 days ago and it seemed to have helped with the previous idle issue. If I hold the throttle around 1,000 to 1,100 rpm it will stay running, once I let off it just dies out.
I double check for air inlet leaks and vacuum leaks and can't seem to find any. mass air seems to be functioning correctly, etc. pulled reading thru my snap on scanner and it appears to be within range

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With 200k miles I would do a compression test to start with, may have one or two cylinders not holding their own.

_brianguy_

Reaction score
I agree with joey, a compression test is going to be your next step. Are there any existing or new CEL trouble codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM