2003 Disco II engine replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VandalBasher

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I am looking to replace the engine on our Disco II. We had the vehicle worked on multiple times to fix the overheating of the engine. This vehicle only has 90k miles on it so I want to keep it.

For the Seattle region, what would it cost (with labor) to replace the engine with s new, or rebuilt, engine?

Thanks, all!

SoCalHiker

Reaction score
Funny... I also have a 2003 Disco and am looking to replace the engine, though I’m located in Bend, Oregon.

The mechanic at Matrix Integrated says coolant is getting into the engine, eventually building up and causing the overheating. They suggested rebuilding by lining the cylinders? Sounds iffy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even a normal clean running cross bolted 4.0 or 4.6 engine is a time bomb once it had been overheated. A pressure checked block that has not cracked would be a perfect donor block machined and fitted with "Top Hat" cylinder liners vs the standard OEM cylinder sleeves. No more blown head gaskets as the head gasket is now compressed against the flange of the "Top Had" liners vs the aluminum surface of the block and the thin contact area of the thin liner.
Aluminum out expands the steel liners causing a blown head gasket when overheated.
If your a 4.0 engine i'd find a good running and tested used 4.6 for the added Hp with mainly the increased torque the 4.6 has over the 4.0 engine.While your in there it would be smart to replace the cam and lifters as they are already shot by 50K miles. A timing chain set with sprockets, talking double roller chain vs OEM's link belt chain.....~~=o&o>.....

Last edited:

CarBazaarFL

Reaction score
Get a rebuilt one - not a used one from a junk yard. I ended up having to get two of the darn things installed after the first one wouldn't run right. I didn't have to pay for both but I had to pay shipping and had to wait forever. They are just to old to use even though they are almost half the price. I took the cheap route because I was selling the truck but if it were for my own daily - I'd trust the rebuilt one a bit more.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72