2013 LR4 with overheated engine...what would you pay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

meesh22

Reaction score
Good afternoon, I am curious to get some thoughts on how much you would pay for a 2013 LR4 HSE with 80k miles, perfect suspension but the engine was overheated by the previous owner and the heads and head gaskets need to be re-done. I'm not looking for opinions on if you would touch it or if you would replace the engine vs doing a rebuild but how much would you pay for the vehicle its self. I am in a bit of a weird spot and need some opinions. I also pulled final auction bids across the US on the same year and similar condition.

Thank you very much!!

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, probably less than 5k.

Engine needs to come out for a full rebuild or replacement, and neither of those options are remotely cheap. I'm sure you know, but you can find decent LR4's for 10-15k now.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were the auction bids that you pulled on the same year and similar condition? A replacement engine is expensive, but that is exactly what I'm doing with mine. I'm getting the "reinforced" version. I wouldn't try to get by just doing the heads since the block very well could have damage. Aluminum engines aren't as tolorant to overheating as the iron big block V8's were back in the day.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah full rebuild or you are likely wasting your money.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Between 3-4k would be the sweet spot depending on vehicle maintenance and condition.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figure out what black book value or NADA avg trade value is and subtract about $12k-$15k

It'd be worth more than that, though. When done, it would be an LR4 with a known, worked-over engine that's ready to go, and not a used engine with 100k miles and an unknown history.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear locker?

I would probably go $5k for one with a locker. Less for one without.

It is also going to need some other work. Might not know what it is, but unless it was an enthusiast vehicle, it's going to need something.

sdtim

Reaction score
Head Gaskets != New Engine.

That said....there could be surprises lurking as the result of the overheating. For the time and money you're probably better off picking up a running LR4...ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72