2003 disco 2 se tech questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Just bought an 03 disco 2 se. 72k miles. First off, is there a tread that tells all about the truck? Like how things should work? Had a broker find me one and got a white one in great shape! Looks awesome and like new. Carfax shows previous owner took care of it and on time. My questions are as follows...

For a truck that has 300 lbs of trq, it sure doesn't get out if it's own way. I though my old H3 was gutless! I mean it's alright but... Is that normal?

Brakes. Whoa. They feel REALLY hard. Like I'm pressing the pedal of a 60s mustang with manual drum brakes. Shop says the brakes are still at 75%. Does it need to be bled? Or is that normal. I did a 35mph cruise and slammed on the brakes to test just in case I should need to and it just slowed to a roll. It didn't really stop like I thought it would.

I'm gonna do an LOF, Rad flush and plug change. Any recommend brand or helpful tips? You guys run synthetic oils or just regular?

Now some are pure oem guys, I am not. I didn't see anything really available for performance parts. I'm not looking to turbo or NOS, just a free flow exhaust and intake. Are there any? All I saw was Magnaflow and no intake. Also I understand this engine is an alumn 4.6 v8. It throws a lot of heat. Is there anyway to get the heat out if the bay? Any home mods you guys are doing? Though about venting the hood but anyone have something easier? Olson e ford owns these, is it the same 4.6 out I the f150 or different?

Thanks in advance and hope to learn a lot. Happy thanksgiving!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sadly keep in mind the Land Rover was not designed for speed. It was designed for off road and comfort while doing it.

You can regear the rear ends to get better off the line performance, but fuel economy what there is will suffer.

I run Synthetic in my Disco..

As far as exhaust and intake I tried both on my D1 1997, and even though I would like to think it helped, well it probably didn't. Keep in mind it is a 5,000 + lbs vehicle so speed isn't there.

4.6 was originally a 1960 Buick 215 engine so no relation to the 4.6 of ford. The newer engines in the LR3's and LR4's are from Jaguar.

Heat... this is caused by the cast iron exhaust manifolds and the fact that the CAT are literally right under them.

Hope this helps.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Hey Joey! Thanks for the reply. What weight oil you run? And per the manual I have to refill oils before filter change?

BRAKES. How do yours feel? Hard as a rock with weak stoppage? Or like any normal car?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
sorry for the late response, spent time with the family yesterday well that and my PS4 :)

I have 125k miles on my 02 so I run 5/30 full synthetic... Mobil one to be specific. Drain oil, pull filter. Fill filter as much as you can with fresh oil (new filter that is) install. (helps with dry pump issues) fill engine with oil. Start and check levels and as needed.

Brakes on a rover well on both mine, my old 97 and my 02, brakes are different from any other vehicle I have driven except some older military vehicles... they work, you will stop but sometimes you just have to push real hard.

Hope this helps.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Ok, now here's my big question. I hear these things can blow head gaskets. When I open my hood, it's like I'm a jew walking into the oven. It about knocks me down. I'm gonna get a rad flush this weekend and toss in some watter wetter. Is there anything I can do to bring down the temps? Is that normal? What about some hood louvers/vents. My old Roush mustang had them and it helped get rid of a lot if heat. Anyone doing this?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might consider going to the LRO or LRF D2 section and read my major sticky at the top of he section.
Should have driven a few before buying so you would know how they handle, suppose you didn't have a pre-purchase inspection done prior to buying either.
Some of the issue you have mentioned can be improved on, if you want some help, PM me your number and I'll be glad to help you.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Mike,

Well I test drove one but looked at three. One was private seller and the others were at a dealer. Those had legal issues I would t touch but gets drive the private seller one. Brakes sucked on that one cause he said it needed brakes so I assumed that's why they felt like it. Broker found me one out of SoCal and all checked out. Everything reported to carfax was good and maint was done on time. Inspection showed brakes at 75% left, new tires, ps fluid is getting a bit dark tho. Prolly due for a tune up? Idk. My main concern is the brakes. I had an h3 with 33s gobi rack lights loaded and weighted down on top of already weighing 5000lbs and it stopped on a dime compared to this thing. Wonder if it isn't bled right either?

Idk what lro is. Do you have a link so I could read them? Thanks

Figaroni

Reaction score
Ok so here's my findings..
Too the truck to have all the fluids changed w/rad flush pressure test etc. turns out it had a bad head gasket. So went a head and did all the upper gaskets, new plugs, wires, heads were sent to machine shop and surfaced and basic valve job done with new seals, the works. Like any car or truck, what a diff full maint job does. For a 5000lbs truck she kind runs like a ***** ape now. For what it is, she scoots. Jut wanted to give an update. Also installed what he called a land rover warm climate thermostat? Said it would help since I'm in Az where our temps get to 120+ degree summer temps.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another possible for you. You need to verify if the front drive shaft has been rebuilt or replaced, if not it can fail and when it breaks your tranny will also need replacing. This is a problem on all D2's.
Crawl under the truck and count the number of grease fittings, should be a total of 4, one on the slip shaft and one on each of the three u-joints.

Figaroni

Reaction score
Well I heard something h about that and already looked. I honestly don't know what I'm looking at cause this truck is all new to me but I know what a grease fitting looks like and I didn't see any but one by the front diff and that's it. I ordered a "greasable" one from toddco last week but some screw up with ups delayed my shipment in Tx. So hoepfully it will go on next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99