2005 LR3 Brake line replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justingreene

Reaction score
2005 LR3, 115K miles. Mostly NYC driving, so lots of salt exposure.

Hi All,
I have developed a slow leak from the rear brake line up above the differential. After inspecting the lines on a lift I see that of the lines that are exposed enough to see, there appears to be a fair amount of corrosion everywhere, and that I cannot actually see from where the leak is coming as the lines go in and out of visibility.

Some research showed that the Land Rover way of working on the brake lines is to lift the body, which is about a 10 hour job.

- Is this correct that this is the only way to replace the lines?
- Any suggestions on what to replace them with? Is there anything that is more corrosion resistant so I do not have to repeat this process or should I just use OEM lines?
- Is there anything else that I may want to also examine and possibly replace while the body is lifted?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't feel correct, but I don't know for sure. In 2014 I took my LR3 to the Yukon Territory. As it was almost 9 years old, I decided to replace all things rubber since we were going to sub-zero temps. That included all coolant hoses and (I believe) brake lines as well. It didn't cost that much....and I had the DEALER do it.

Did your research include calling a LR Dealer Service Department and just asking them?

justingreene

Reaction score
I did call Land Rover and they confirmed that for an LR3 it is a body lift. Then the they went on to say that is was $5000, which is crazy considering it is supposed to be a 10 hours job from what I have read. I will check with another dealer to sanity check that. He also indicated that bushings and such do not require the body to be lifted, just the brakes.

9500joseph

Reaction score
I took mine to my local garage he cut the old line I think some where near the rear door and put new line from there back. He just found a good place to cut the line ,that had easy access then spliced and fished the new one from there back. $100 that was 3 years ago no problems.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give George Hughes, Authorized Imported in Flemington NJ https://www.jagshop.com/ a call. There is a repair kit for the brake line and I know George replaced several on the LR3 without lifting the body. Tell him Sam sent you there :)

LR4 2011

Reaction score
I have the same issue on a LR4 2011. In 2014 LR came out with a fix, splice into line above the muffler. PN: LR056967 LH Rear, PN: LR056968 RH Rear. I have attached the TSB. No body lift required if the damage is in this area.

Attachments

• LTB00650NAS1.pdf
    152.8 KB · Views: 264

roverlen

Reaction score
I did the same repair by going back from rear brakes till pipe in good condition under rear door. Double flared new pipe and replaced to brake flex hose. Both brake lines at under body rear wall where is goes into plastic clips was where the rusted brake pipes were. Go figure, why wouldn't they install Stainless brake lines at Landrover. It required loosening the aluminum heat shields to access a straight portion of piping to attach new. No body lift required. Always best to undercoat or spray piping at clamps to prevent rust in snowball areas.

DiscoSki

Reaction score
I did the same repair by going back from rear brakes till pipe in good condition under rear door. Double flared new pipe and replaced to brake flex hose. Both brake lines at under body rear wall where is goes into plastic clips was where the rusted brake pipes were. Go figure, why wouldn't they install Stainless brake lines at Landrover. It required loosening the aluminum heat shields to access a straight portion of piping to attach new. No body lift required. Always best to undercoat or spray piping at clamps to prevent rust in snowball areas.
Did you remove the exhaust? I’m hoping I can avoid this. Thanks a ton for the info in this thread, super helpful. Thank you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA