2005 Service Items

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So who amongst you folks with the still-good bushings are NON off-roaders?

I'm trying to determine if my wheelin' adventures contributed to mine going out within 60k miles.

I'm confident that off roading definitely contributes to mashing the peanuts in the peanut butter bushings

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly....I'm wondering to what extent. I wonder if airing down the tires (even if not necessary for the particular trail conditions) would prolong the bushings life by dampening the "mashing."

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would excessive braking contibute to the issue, say someone who is more of a city vs. highway driver? I would assume offroading would definitely do the trick, but all that weight bearing down on the front end during stopping doesn't help either. Maybe those that are getting their brakes replaced early will also see bushing issues?

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are at 30k and have not had bushings or brakes replaced. I just swapped on our Coopers last weekend and did a thorough inspection of brakes/suspension and all looks good with about 45% of brakes left.

Goin to Tillamook on Friday. I can't wait!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You going to the TSF as part of a group or solo? Should be fun! I would like to get back there sometime....30k?!? You don't drive it much, do ya!

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't enter my LR3 in the Baja but I have been known to find my fair share of bottomless pitts down here in Louisiana. I am pretty methodical about pressure washing all the suspension components underneath. I would think that those bushings being packed with sand and dirt would do a number on them. I do have a problem with getting mud with rocks getting caked into my rims and brakes. Makes a nasty sound.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh...and I do not think that heavy braking is a factor. I have 66,000 miles on mine; I have yet to replace the front bads (so I am NOT a heavy braker) and I had to replace the bushings last month. They were going bad about 4 to 6 months ago.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's odd that the bushings are all over the place as far as wear and tear go. They discovered mine when they butchered my steering wheel change.

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You going to the TSF as part of a group or solo? Should be fun! I would like to get back there sometime....30k?!? You don't drive it much, do ya!

We're going solo as part of a weekend long trip. Friday is TSF. Saturday is some beach stuff along the coast. Gonna hit some sand!

The LR3 is my wifes truck and she's a stay at home mom..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99