2008 LR3 overheating -coolant not circulating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt-LR3

Reaction score
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. Or at least it reads like it. I noticed steam coming from the engine compartment after leaving the carwash. I thought it was a brilliant idea to race my rig home to drain the excess water off and then detail dry LOL. That said white steam was coming out near the rear of the throttle body.

Replaced

thermostat, coolant pump, coolant hoses, serpentine belt (why not), belt tensioner (another why not), oil cooler tube, oil cooler tube seals (one on each side)

Filled with factory recommended coolant and turned the heater on to fill. The engine runs on idle for at least 10 minutes without showing signs of overheating, then - whamo! It starts with the white steam coming out of the rear of the throttle body area.

Any thoughts group? Oh and glad that Matt got his problem solved! I am dealing with a mystery my friends.

2010 HSE non SCH
Los Angeles, CA

Sagin

Reaction score
How did you get to the hose below the throttle body? Thanks everyone for your input.

Sagin

Reaction score
20181025_163454.jpg
you can barely see the white smoke
coming from behind the coolant pump and below the throttle body

Matt-LR3

Reaction score
How did you get to the hose below the throttle body? Thanks everyone for your input.
Once you take off the air tube. Disconnect the 1 hose on top and undo the 2 clamps 1 by the filter & 1 by throttle body the plastic piece and air tube should come right out. There is some play in it. Once that is out you can get to it.

Docddd

Reaction score
I had the same problem (one of many) and it turned out to be the viscus fan clutch assembly. Make sure that it is running properly. Just a gripe here, the temperature sensor is in the bottom of the coolant recovery bottle, if you run out of coolant it won't indicate that you're burning up your engine. Really poor design.

Sagin

Reaction score
Thanks all, I will let you know how it goes tonight. I'm going to get in there...that said, Matt I think we have a different set up, but I will post pics later...

Sagin

Reaction score
Well, here it is! Leak is in a cracked, broken or failed plastic water pump outlet tube thermostat. You can see the orange coolant streaming out after I pressurized the system and removed the intake manifold. I can't believe I am the only one that I found on the web and most LR blogs that had this issue. Well, now to find this part and other hoses that run from the throttle body to under the intake manifold to the back of the engine. Yes, the hose runs from the throttle body and under the intake manifold! The engineer/designer obviously does not work on the cars he designs. That said this hose will be changed for good measure as the manifold is taken apart and exposed (why not).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72