2008 LR3 Questions and assistance needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mtadlock

Reaction score
I have a 2008 LR3 that I bought used about a year ago. I recently crossed the 100,000 mile mark, and the other day my dash lit up like a Christmas Tree with Suspension Fault, HDC Fault, Transmission Fault, Brake, and HDC options unavailable messages. It also says it is lowering my suspension, but it typically doesn't lower but instead stays in Standard height.

After doing some reading on this forum (which is great by the way, and I appreciate all of you), I decided the first step before paying any money, was to check my brake switch. I removed the brake switch, but I found no black residue around it like many said I would find if it was the problem. However, I DID see that the wires coming off of the brake switch had a piece of electrical tape around them that didn't look like it was part of the initial setup, so I'm assuming the brake switch has been tinkered with before.

So, I'm wondering what I should do next. My local LR dealer is super expensive, but I have a good mechanic shop close by that has been around for years and does work on Land Rovers. They are planning to charge me $100 just to look at it. I'm ok with that, but was wondering if you guys recommend that I change out the brake switch first to see if that resolves the issue? Should I also go ahead and change out the battery? I saw several posts about a battery fixing the issue. I thought since I could do both of those things for under $200, it may be a good idea to do that before forking out any money to a mechanic, in case those 2 things solve it.

I would love some input and advice if possible. I am not having any instances where one side, or one corner, is in a lower or higher suspension than the others....but I am having the entire suspension lower at times. And it comes and goes...For instance, I got in the car this morning and as soon as I cranked it I got all of the lights and error codes, but the car stayed in the Standard height (despite saying "lowering"), and it drove fine. But then this afternoon, I cranked it up and had no messages or error codes, no lights, nothing. So it appears that something is in the process of going out, or is shorted, I just don't know enough to know how to fix it.

If I end up having to go to the shop, that's fine...but we have a lot of sketchy mechanics in the area, so I'd like to have enough of a general knowledge that I don't get taken to the cleaners if I end up going that route.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Thanks again,

MT

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MT, it sounds like you are on the right track. Do you know when the battery was replaced last? I would check your alternator as well.

Last edited:

Mtadlock

Reaction score
MT, it sounds like you are on the right track. Do you know when the battery was replaced last? I would check your alternator as well.

Duck, First off thanks for the response. I don't know when the last time the battery was changed, but I do know that it hasn't been changed since I bought it. And now that you mention it, I had to use the battery to jump off a car about a week before it started acting up....not sure if that has any relevance, but I'm wondering if there is low voltage? It hasn't acted like the battery was low, but I know that doesn't always tell the whole story.

As for the Alternator, how can I check it? Will I just have to take it to a mechanic, or is there a cheaper/easier way to test it for a guy that isn't the most auto savvy? Thanks again!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake switch is about $15, so yeah...I'd do it. Also check all your brake lights and make sure none are burned out.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go ahead with what Houm said and replace your brake switch first, especially if some one has been "tinkering with it". If your problem persists have your battery tested to see if that is your problem. If the battery needs replacing then you should be good to go. Dont go econo on your battery either, these trucks can get a little pissy when it comes to its electrical system. Post back and let us know how it goes.

Mtadlock

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the responses. My LR dealer is saying the brake switch is $40. That isn't too bad, but is there a reliable place online that I can get it for $15-$20? I don't mind paying $40, but every little bit helps when it comes to saving money on car repairs, and I've seen several people mention brake switches in the $15 range. I would rather pay more at the LR dealer than to get a dud off of ebay...but if there is a quality online store that you guys recommend, I would definitely rather save money and buy it online.

Thanks again, and I will definitely post an outcome when I get it taken care of.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lucky8llc.com doesn't have it on the website that I could find, but I think I got one from them for $20.

Mtadlock

Reaction score
Lucky8llc.com doesn't have it on the website that I could find, but I think I got one from them for $20.

Thanks. I just called them and they have them for $25 shipped. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72