2012 LR4 High Throttle Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While we're tossing out recommendations for injector cleaner added to the tank, Red Line SI-1 is my personal favorite, although BG also has excellent products (with rather high prices). There might be one or two other "good" ones, but most other injector cleaners - especially less expensive ones - tend to have less cleaning power. SI-1 is cheapest on Amazon in a 4-pack for $40-$42 delivered, otherwise it's $12-$15 per bottle.

This very detailed review on Amazon does a great job explaining PEA content and why you should care about it:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/custome...ef=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000CPI5Z0

While Seafoam won't hurt anything, IMO there are better options for liquids to add to the gas tank.

Stuff to spray down the throttle body / intake tract is a different discussion though. Dunno what's the best for that, but the $$$ BG products are probably high on the list.

:albertein

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and J_MLR3... if the spark plugs are original, it may not hurt to replace them after 8 years / 70kmi. If buying the plugs yourself, only buy from a reputable vendor (not Amazon/eBay) to avoid getting counterfeits.

Costco gas is Top Tier licensed, which is what you want... only use Top Tier fuel:
https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

BendRover123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response MBW. I'm going to start out by changing out the air filters, and cleaning the throttle body. After watching a couple of videos, I'm up for it. I'd have to get a code reader to check those out.
Try seafoam I have done mine a week ago to clear gunk from throttle body, air inlet, ducting.

steveC101

Reaction score
I had the amber engine light coming on intermittently for months. I cleaned the throttle body and the MAF, threw seafood at it checked for leaks, replaced the gas filler cap, etc, etc. Things were getting desperate when the garage couldn't carry out an emissions test so I decided to start all over again. In order to remove the engine cover I had to remove the oil filler cap and noticed it wasn't fully locked down. I gave it a quarter turn and when I started the engine the light had cleared and hasn't returned in the last 3 months.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the amber engine light coming on intermittently for months. I cleaned the throttle body and the MAF, threw seafood at it checked for leaks, replaced the gas filler cap, etc, etc. Things were getting desperate when the garage couldn't carry out an emissions test so I decided to start all over again. In order to remove the engine cover I had to remove the oil filler cap and noticed it wasn't fully locked down. I gave it a quarter turn and when I started the engine the light had cleared and hasn't returned in the last 3 months.

What as the code for the engine light? Id be surprised that a loose oil cap would cause a problem, unless you have a (minor) PCV issue.

LOL at throwing seafood at it

Last edited:

steveC101

Reaction score
They were the lean fuel codes, 71 and 74. Any reduction in performance had been minimal but the codes themselves were enough to prevent the garage from carrying out an emissions test.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut