2013 LR4 LED/Halogen/Xenon Light Bulb Refresh DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pantalones

Reaction score
Decided to replace all the interior light bulbs with LEDs recently and ended up just replacing all the lights bulbs on my LR4. Took a while to figure out what type and number of bulbs I would need, along with what could be upgraded to LED. So, I decided to share this info with anyone else who may be interested.

Overall, this is an easy DIY, took a couple of hours, but I think it was worth it in the end. I went with LEDs wherever possible for color, consistency and longevity. For the bulbs that could not be switched to LED, I just replaced with an upgraded version of the original standard bulb. For all the W5W/T10 bulbs, I think any brand would work, but I went with Philips since they had good reviews and bulbs for almost all the replacement, plus I didn’t want some cheap LED burning out and starting a fire in my dome lights. Also, the Philips bulbs are bright enough without being blinding like some other brands.

Types

W5W/T10/12961/194 – Side Corners Front/Rear, Side Repeaters, License, Puddle, All Interior
D3S - Xenon Headlight - High/Low Beam
H11 - Halogen Fog
H7 - Halogen Headlight - High Beam
P21W/1156 – Reverse and Rear Fog
T5/74 - Vanity Mirrors
HP24WA - Front Turn Signals

lights.png

Quantities

W5W/T10/12961/194 - 18 White (interior, license plate, front corners, rear corners)
W5W/T10/12961/194 - 4 White (door puddle)
W5W/T10/12961/194 - 2 Amber (side repeaters)
D3S - 2
H11 - 2
H7 - 2
P21W/1156 - 4
T5/74 - 4
HP24WA - 2

Brands

W5W/T10/12961/194 - Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulb (White) [Amazon]
W5W/T10/12961/194 – LASFIT 194 (White) Can-Bus Error Free (Door puddle/courtesy lights) [Amazon]
W5W/T10/12961/194 - Philips 194 Ultinon LED Bulb (Amber) [Amazon]
D3S - Philips D3S X-tremeVision Gen2 42403XV2C1 [Amazon]
H11 - Philips H11 CrystalVision Halogen / Philips 12794UNIX2 X-tremeUltinon LED [Amazon]
H7 - Philips H7 CrystalVision [Amazon]
P21W/1156 - Philips 1156 Ultinon LED Bulb [Amazon]
T5/74 - YITAMOTOR T5 Hat 5050 Tri-Cell 1-SMD LED Dashboard Gauge Instrument Panel White Light Bulb Lamp 37 58 70 73 74 12V [Amazon]
HP24WA – Land Rover LR014111, Renault 262610001R, Valeo HP24WA

Locations Used

Headlights
(2) D3S Xenon, high/low beams
(2) W5W White, corner lamps
(2) H7, high beams

Side Repeaters
(2) W5W Amber

Rear Lights
(2) W5W White, rear corner lamps
(4) P21W/1156, reverse and rear fogs

License Plate
(2) W5W White

Interior
(2) W5W White, footwells
(1) W5W White, glove box
(6) W5W White, front and 2nd row map/courtesy/dome
(2) W5W White, 3rd row courtesy
(1) W5W White, rear load space/tailgate
(4) W5W White or LED Fixture, door puddle/courtesy

Install Notes

• PrecisionLED has a great YouTube walkthrough of the interior, license, and rear light LED installations
  • For polarized LEDs, e.g. Philips, you may need to reverse the connection if they don’t come on initially
  • The glove box bulb is a pain, but not impossible, I just used a tiny flat blade screwdriver to pop it out.
  • Front turn signal bulbs are odd, uncommon and expensive, so I didn’t bother replacing them
  • Vanity mirror LEDs are thicker and longer than the standard bulbs, so they require a bit of light force to install.
  • Front door puddle/courtesy LEDs are the only ones that did not work with the Philips 194LED bulbs. The rear doors worked fine with the Philips bulbs, but I replaced all four for consistency. The fronts are hit-or-miss, I would recommend CANBUS Error Free bulbs or LED fixtures by PowerfulUK or PMLIT [eBay]. When you replace the bulb, regardless of halogen or led, you’ll need to close and open the door before it will work again.
  • If the interior lights, such as the vanity or dome stop working, then you probably blew fuse #57. Just replace it with a 10A mini fuse and you should be back in business or better yet, just remove it until all interior lights have been replaced. I ended up replacing it 3 times, twice just for the vanity mirrors.
  • Front fog light LEDs are expensive, and I rarely use them, so I just upgraded the existing halogens
  • Replaced beat up front fog light fixtures, Valeo part #88899 [Amazon]

20190315_181501282_iOS.jpg

20190310_192309701_iOS.jpg

20190312_135623556_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great write up and detail.

I'm curious, I had a '13 Lux and the headlights and high beams were excellent. Why did you change?
Thanks!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Xenon bulbs slowly degrade over time. My '12 came with halogen headlights and I eventually bought xenon housings. Before I installed them, though, I put in new xenon bulbs. The Phillips xenon bulbs are supposed to be a touch brighter than the OEM ones, too.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha

How have the replacement fogs worked out? Have a pic of day/night shot? thank you

pantalones

Reaction score
Some of the bulbs I was replacing with LEDs were in the same housing as other non-LED bulbs, so I decided just to replace them all at once. I assume they were all original and they were all working fine, mainly just wanted to replace the interior with LEDs to get rid of the dim incandescents.

pantalones

Reaction score
Gotcha

How have the replacement fogs worked out? Have a pic of day/night shot? thank you

My original fog housings were fairly scratched up and a little foggy, so I just replaced the bulbs when I replaced the housings. They new bulbs are brighter, but probably not that much different from the originals.

eli4x4

Reaction score
Steve
This is how many fuses I had to change to replace the bloody annoying Vanity mirror lights !!! Man ... could LR make them any smaller and trickier???
Good Times!

image0.jpeg

pantalones

Reaction score
Wow, I forgot about that pain, I must have blocked it out! I think I went through half as many, but I remember a small spark occurring while changing the vanity mirror, which gave me a bit of pause, luckily it just required changing the fuse(s) to restore functionality.

For anyone considering upgrading the vanity lights, I would recommend skipping them if they are not important to you or if you rarely use them. The bulbs I recommended/used are slightly larger than the OEMs and besides the glove box light, they were the hardest to replace. I find the vanity mirrors in this vehicle too small to be really useful.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi