2013 LR4 - Transmission Sonnax Zip Kit Completed - The Results

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of tiny parts. I bought everything and turned it over to my Indy. I forgot to order the new separator plate and had to go get one while it was disassembled. Definitely mid level to advanced job just based on the number of pieces and the stakes. You are supposed to use a new separator plate every time you crack it. Not sure how real that is but...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can't find an indy for modern Rovers, find an indy who specializes in BMW transmission service as they all use the same transmissions.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a ton of tiny parts. I bought everything and turned it over to my Indy. I forgot to order the new separator plate and had to go get one while it was disassembled. Definitely mid level to advanced job just based on the number of pieces and the stakes. You are supposed to use a new separator plate every time you crack it. Not sure how real that is but...
New separater plate was used. Mine was a063/b063.
I'm sure I just made a dumb mistake somwhere along the way. Unfortunately I just don't have the time or patience to do that messy job again.

If you can't find an indy for modern Rovers, find an indy who specializes in BMW transmission service as they all use the same transmissions.

Waiting on a LR indy shop to give me a better diagnosis. It was towed to them yesterday.

Last edited:

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
I just did the Sonnax Zip Kit on my 2013 LR4 with the ZF6 HP28. Per this thread, I, of course, ordered the wrong separator plate and had time to film this info because it was not obvious from my research I had an A063 vs A065. Hope it helps those who come after me.
A few other points about this job:
-Read the instructions 10x before you start.
-make sure the upper side is down when you separate the bodies
-do the o-rings for the solenoids one at a time and match them exactly to one from the 500 it comes with.
-also attaching a pic because the bolts are different than the excellent aston martin ZF6 blog posts form the LR4 pan swap thread. We have lots more valve body bolts than those posts. The six long bolts that hold on the mechatronic are show loose while the separation ones are shown torqued to spec.

Attachments

• PXL_20240111_183243902~3.jpg
    PXL_20240111_183243902~3.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut