2015 LR4 CPO Lemon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Have a 2015 LR4 HSE CPO in CA. It has been at the authorized LR Dealer Repair Shop for the same issue 4+ times. The car is in pristine condition etc. And they can find no issues.

Issue:
Shuts down (dies) randomly without warning while in drive, for instance when making a Left Turn In DRIVE when I come to a stop at intersection, or at a stop sign while stopped. Very scary. Happens randomly and without warning! Have to wait for the vehicle to power up, cold restart as if I was starting the car up normally.

What are my recourses at this point? Any suggestions have engaged Land Rover North America + Dealer, but obv. getting the run-around. The car is under-mileage and still has 2 years left on CPO warranty. Thank you for your insight.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that, in California, if a used car is sold by a retailer with a warranty, then certain lemon law protections apply... so its worth speaking with a lemon law attorney on this...

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a 2015 LR4 HSE CPO in CA. It has been at the authorized LR Dealer Repair Shop for the same issue 4+ times. The car is in pristine condition etc. And they can find no issues.

Issue:
Shuts down (dies) randomly without warning while in drive, for instance when making a Left Turn In DRIVE when I come to a stop at intersection, or at a stop sign while stopped. Very scary. Happens randomly and without warning! Have to wait for the vehicle to power up, cold restart as if I was starting the car up normally.

What are my recourses at this point? Any suggestions have engaged Land Rover North America + Dealer, but obv. getting the run-around. The car is under-mileage and still has 2 years left on CPO warranty. Thank you for your insight.

IDK, disconnect the stop start battery? Or push the button to turn it off to see if you can isolate. Seems like it is happening after a stop? That can't be a coincidence.

LVDaytripper

Reaction score
That does sound the LR Intelligent Start/Stop system for fuel economy. Do you know if you have that option in your vehicle? If so, that can be turned off temporarily only when you drive the vehicle for that instance meaning once you turn the car off, you will have to disable the system again when you get back in the car to drive.

omniplayer

Reaction score
It is most likely the main engine wiring harness. Get the car in the air, turn it on, and have someone shake the harness while it's running. If the car shuts off or starts running weird, that's your problem. I was having the same problem with my Denali last year. It took my mechanic and the dealership 6 months to figure it out.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that, in California, if a used car is sold by a retailer with a warranty, then certain lemon law protections apply... so its worth speaking with a lemon law attorney on this...

Is that the case for a used car? In MA, which like CA is very consumer-friendly, the Lemon law covers you on a new car for the first year (number of days out of commission or number of visits for same problem).

There is a different law in MA that says if you bought a used car and you found within some short amount of time that there is a repair needed and the repair cost is some proportionally high amount compared to the purchase cost (50%?), then the seller must take the car back. I believe this law is meant to protect people from say, buying an LR4 for $10k, being told all is well except for a slight ticking sound, and then you find within a few weeks that you have to do a full timing chain job for $6k. Or being told occasionally it shifts funny but then it needs a new transmission, etc.

BMullensNH

Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen but only once. It was cold (~0F), I was turning left after coming from a stop and entering an intersection. My 2015 LR4 HSE shut down while in drive and I too had to coast, through the intersection, to a stop, put it in park, restart and get back on my way. I've got 92k miles, bought it at 70k a little over a year ago and it's only happened once.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lemon law worked great for me Way back in 06. I ordered a new RRS HSE and after delivery, it was downhill from there. Wifey loved the RRS and I loved my 95 SWB also bought from that LR Dealership. Funny thing was with all the LR3 and LR2(?) loaners I got to take off-roading ;), We realized the LR3 was a better 4xFar. LRNA gave me a full refund including Taxes current Reg. even the accessories! Took the dough and Bought a LR3 lease return 10k miles remaining warranty with the cash and still Loving It Happily Ever After :D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA