2016 LR4 SCV6 Coolant Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robin Parsons

Reaction score
Curt hokanson, I looked at all options, used, rebuilt, even a salvage titled LR with low mileage.. but got a new production factory engine, long block, with water pump, spark plugs, injectors, complete, for less than 10,000. So I just had the dealer install for the warranty. The total was just under 21k, but also included ALL new cooling system parts, hoses, moldings, thermostat, etc. New SC snorkel with coupler, trans service ipgrade, motor mounts, really anything wele which could fail. It was hard to bite at 105,000 miles, but the beast is in almost as new condition otherwise. Nothing new compares, though I actually really like the defender. But I have upgraded almost everything other than body and interior, so it was 30 to 40k less than comparable new. Now back in service, I have only one regret....should have upgraded cooling system sooner.

Edward2595

Reaction score
Robin, was it the back crossover that failed on yours or the front?

The rear has not been updated. Mine is a 2015 and I proactively changed mine awhile back at 65k. It had the old style front and I updated it to the newer more robust style but the rear is still the same crappy sandwich style and as of today, still no design change for the rear.

I did replace both the front and rear and neither had any signs of leaking at the time.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. With the number of reports of these issues over the years, not just with the discovery but also the jags, LR should have fixed it by now. And the fact they just did redesigned pipes still with plastic fittings right into the block just blows my mind.

I have no confidence the new pipes will be any better than the old ones. In fact, it might have been driven by cost-savings as the old design was probably more difficult/expensive to make. The old sandwich design involved an extra labor step to put the pipe halves together, and the two pipes (crossover and y-pipe) had a separate aluminum connector between them (which is now just a plastic-plastic pipe connection).

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coasting LR4...

While I think your 2016 probably already has the newer style crossovers, look closely at then and make sure. If they have flat sides glued together along the length, then replace asap. Regardless of cost. The well known failures are between 50 and 80k m I kes per most comments herein. I took the "wait until I see indications of leak" approach also. I am ex-militry, and meticulous on daily and weekly inspections. And maintenance. I had checked closely the morning of my failure. Completely dry. So like all the others herein who have experienced and commented, there is most often NO early warning.No pulling over and adding water to limp home. It us a sudden and nearly instant catasyrophic engine failure. $21k + to repair. I lost the engine in less than 1 minute over less than 1 mile at 65 mph. I very much regret not following all the advice from other members.

However, I do think that 2016 came with new style parts.

I have a 2016 and it has the old style, flat glued two piece. I'll be replacing soon, within the next month just to be safe.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA