2020 Defender Drive Impressions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's optimistic and flies in the face of history. There are countless threads on this in every LR forum. It was a design flaw that was never addressed correctly after the fact with (better) replacement parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is why I qualified my response with "if it matters to LR" and I guess it does not.

I have always thought that the LR corporate strategy is to target the first owner as a lease "buyer" and after the warranty is over, it matters not. That is why most leases expire at the end of the warranty period.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to the term "frail crossover pipes", fortunately I do not know what that means, but it seems to me the sort of thing that LR could resolve if it really mattered to them.

I think the correct term is coolant manifold, but basically they are plastic pipes that go across the top rear of the engine. They carry coolant to the heater core. The engine heat causes these pipes to become brittle, crack or completely implode. If it implodes, you have to immediately shut off the engine or you will be buying a new engine.

These pipes should have been metal or as you noted, at least the replacement for the failing OEM part should be metal. But of course it's not.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the correct term is coolant manifold, but basically they are plastic pipes that go across the top rear of the engine. They carry coolant to the heater core. The engine heat causes these pipes to become brittle, crack or completely implode. If it implodes, you have to immediately shut off the engine or you will be buying a new engine.

These pipes should have been metal or as you noted, at least the replacement for the failing OEM part should be metal. But of course it's not.
Other than the complete plastic thermostat housing (LR005631) which I replace when I flush the cooling system on the 4.4L petrol V8, there is the little odd shaped bleeder hose (LR006158) that can give problems. There is a plastic tee with a threaded air bleeder outlet located in the middle of the hose. The plastic tee can or will fail due to I guess heat distress.

A BIC pen can serve as a field fix, however for your parts kit, a nominal 3/8" ID hose size brass hose barb inline connector plus a couple of hose clamps is suggested. Better yet is a threaded hose barb brass coupling or a tee and bleeder valve to allow bleeding of the line. Land Rover now makes the plastic bleeder valve that breaks available as a separate part, # LR027661, where 0 is a zero. I have not had any of that fail, but I put that down to preventative replacement.

Also note, rubber hose, not plastic so the hoses have not been a problem - with the LR4, there was a lot of "progress". I always felt the 2008 model year was the best LR3 produced.

https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=15405&pos=4

Reaction score
does anyone know if you can add a rear locker to the new defender? most of the ones coming to the US have all these options i dont want...but dont have the off road pack. i just want to add the factory electronic active differential but the dealership is saying "no" like why not???

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My neighbor works at LR and said no 130 on the horizon anymore. I was holding out for that too.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems odd - considering how the Defender is vital to LR sales and the US makers just keep making their SUV's bigger, you would think 130 would be needed to compete with the Yukons, Suburbans, Escalades, etc.. Of course, the US is just one market, so perhaps the 130 is not wanted as much in other countries around the world...

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That seems odd - considering how the Defender is vital to LR sales and the US makers just keep making their SUV's bigger, you would think 130 would be needed to compete with the Yukons, Suburbans, Escalades, etc.. Of course, the US is just one market, so perhaps the 130 is not wanted as much in other countries around the world...

I think you are correct on that.

needed to compete with the Yukons, Suburbans, Escalades, etc..

If you asked JLR, they would say that's what the Disco 5 is meant to do...Although I consider the Disco 5 superior to those others. I'm spoiled by my LR4...IMHO, it bests all of them including the 5.

Keith Mann

Reaction score
I have a 2003 discovery 2, a 2006 LR3, and I just picked up a 2020.5 defender. I shopped initially for a discovery 5, but as a tall broad shouldered guy, I could not see myself enjoying the cramped quarters. That’s when I sat in a defender. It was much bigger! It felt like my other Land Rovers. The second row is also down right roomy. The defender is far more like my LR3 than that Disco. Between the familiar dimensions and the real world capability I changed my plans and ordered the Defender. It is awesome.
The 3rd row is tiny, I will saw. Smaller even than the disco 5. It is notional at best and will only be used sparingly. You would probably need to have both seats up to fit one adult, and then you basically lose the entire trunk. Too bad the 130 is shelved, I would have gotten one of those.
Here in Florida we are very muddy and the truck handles the mud and wet with no issues. Low traction launch is amazing in muddy situations.
I agree that the wheels are too big. I have 20 inch rims. The rotors, though, are massive. I believe this is due to the tremendous towing ability. I am looking to downsize to 19s, but I don’t want to buy 5 new sets of tires after making the initial purchase. I can only find one set of real off road tires in a 255/60r20.
The truck is awesome. Handling and road manners are also great. The tech is off the charts great. The cameras are incredibly helpful. Overall it is an excellent, comfortable, capable truck.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 discovery 2, a 2006 LR3, and I just picked up a 2020.5 defender. I shopped initially for a discovery 5, but as a tall broad shouldered guy, I could not see myself enjoying the cramped quarters. That’s when I sat in a defender. It was much bigger! It felt like my other Land Rovers. The second row is also down right roomy. The defender is far more like my LR3 than that Disco. Between the familiar dimensions and the real world capability I changed my plans and ordered the Defender. It is awesome.
The 3rd row is tiny, I will saw. Smaller even than the disco 5. It is notional at best and will only be used sparingly. You would probably need to have both seats up to fit one adult, and then you basically lose the entire trunk. Too bad the 130 is shelved, I would have gotten one of those.
Here in Florida we are very muddy and the truck handles the mud and wet with no issues. Low traction launch is amazing in muddy situations.
I agree that the wheels are too big. I have 20 inch rims. The rotors, though, are massive. I believe this is due to the tremendous towing ability. I am looking to downsize to 19s, but I don’t want to buy 5 new sets of tires after making the initial purchase. I can only find one set of real off road tires in a 255/60r20.
The truck is awesome. Handling and road manners are also great. The tech is off the charts great. The cameras are incredibly helpful. Overall it is an excellent, comfortable, capable truck.

Congrats on the new truck. Great to hear from a new owner.

Preetsarai

Reaction score
upload_2020-10-15_16-36-35.png

See more pics here https://www.instagram.com/tasmandefender/?hl=en

I got my P300 last week. Absolutely love it. I was definitely concerned about going from a 2010 LR4 (V8) to a P300 Defender (4 cylinder) - but after driving it for a week now I have absolutely no regrets. Yes, the P400 has a 2 sec 0-60 advantage, but I dont see the need for it as a daily driver or on the trails. Definitely feels more refined and power delivery is much smoother compared to my LR4.

2nd row (with the 3rd row option) slides forward to make more room in the back for the third row or cargo. Definely comfy in the second row.

Only downside for me the cargo space, but since i'm not selling my LR4 for now its not a big deal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut