2020 Defender Drive Impressions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the feeling that the Defender is generally smaller inside than the 3/4.

I know at the back, there is less length, but how does it feel side to side in the front seats - less width than the 3/4 or wider feeling?

The Park setting being not at the top of the shifter will prove to be a real problem but I suppose changing it would be admitting to error.

I recall when automatic transmissions were first introduced. The big 3 all had different ways of shifting and different patterns. We seem to be getting that way again.

To resolve the confusion, the DOT made a rule standardizing the shift order - sounds like they will have to dust it off again.

Last edited:

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I marvel at is the maximum clearance of the new Def. I believe I’vre read 11.5 inches somewhere, is that righ? That would mean just below 30 cm. Our LR4s have 31 cm OEM, and with Mudtech’s Anitas system (which I DON’T recommend for now, waiting for a replacement unit) or an IID Tool, you can another 7.5 cm or 3 in to that. Can the new Def compete?

LUIZ C LABA

Reaction score
Interesting post and information, thank you.

I did a test drive yesterday on the BASE 110 - V6:

It has lots of power, amazing engine as LR know how to make. I found it very comfortable, the model I drove had lots of options, the interior was just nice, nothing special but acceptable.
The exterior, it is about opinions, but I particularly fund it to be NOT SO NICE, but still acceptable.
The handling was great, highway driving was fun, fast and quite comfortable, local driving was nice, in special the MIRROR camera, which is nice, but NOT NECESSARY IMO.

The price, the one BASE I drove was priced at 71,850.00 and I think it is a OVERKILL for what it is, since I will not be driving off-road very much, and if you compare other brands, it is way to expensive for what it is, as we all know that service on these LR is very expensive compared to other brands.

After 5 LR's I owned (currently a 2019 Discovery Diesel), I learned a lot doing my own maintenance at home, problem is, there is no way to reset the service count on my discovery 2019, so it is a pain to ask the dealer to reset, as they DO NOT WANT TO DO IT, because they did not service it...so I am not so sure I would get into another LR, as maintenance is just TOO expensive compared to other brands.

Overall, nice car, but should have been priced right to attrack attention of those going to the BRONCO, 4RUNNER, Wrangler, etc.

Cheers
Luiz

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at a 110 Luxo at our local dealership and I wish I could be as positive as above. Here in Canbucks, the list price was 98,000 plus tax; my thought was that the Autobiography is starting to look reasonably priced.

If anything upset me, it was that I thought the interior was small relative to my LR3. It feels narrower inside - maybe it is the relatively high beltline, but left to right, it is tighter, or feels that way.

The boot area is definitely smaller - less wide and less high than the 3 or 4. The less high is easy to explain - no raised roof and the less wide as I presume that the unit body is from one of their "Explorer" lookalikes.

As to the engine, I have no idea but this idea of smaller displacement is better, but run it harder, puzzles me.

I watched a half hour video from the Defender design group and I was impressed with the people and their efforts but the video discussed details, (impressive), but did not address how in my opinion, somewhere in the system, they got the size all wrong.

It strikes me that Land Rover's self perceived role is to do all the real world experimenting and what works out is adopted ten years later by the mainline manufacturers.

For that reason, I regard my 2005 LR3 has current technology relative to other vehicles. My 3 is now also more reliable than it was when it exited the factory 15 years ago, but getting all to function in a reliable manner is why these forums are needed.

If I am correct about the size thing, then about all I can suggest is that when the 130 is produced, it come out with an actual new body - wider, taller, and longer, maybe even on a frame - yes a radical makeover, but the market place will decide.

Last edited:

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to disagree. I love the appearance, but even more I love the technology. Not only can this car do a better job off road than the Bronco and 4Runner in certain situations, not just the geometry of it (approach, break over and departure angles), but it has a synchronizer in the transfer case that allows you to shift from low range to high range while moving, the rear and center locking diffs use clutches that allow the diffs to lock and unlock while moving, over 35" wading depth, to name some of it's far superior technologies. The Defender can also tow 8200 lbs, something the others you mentioned can not do. I would love to see more space, but again it's still larger than a G-wagon (and less than 1/2 the price). Mine is scheduled to arrive the end of October and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what it can do. We will be towing a 26' trailer and tackling some technical off road trails the first month (I just hope it arrives on time :) )

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine the 130 will keep the same styling as the 110, it would be kind of weird from a design language point of view to have two models in the same line that look different not only in size and scale but aesthetically as well.

In better news sounds like the V8 that is coming won't be a BMW engine!

https://carbuzz.com/news/yes-jaguar-land-rovers-awesome-supercharged-v8-lives-on
I agree with your comment that the 130 will just be a longer 110 however the Grenadier might be available about the same time the 130 could be available - how the Grenadier sells will be an interesting story and could seriously affect the styling of an updated Discovery.

What is good news is that the AJ engine remains. I figure my non turbocharged AJ 4.4 V8 is the best engine Jaguar every made and question all the new ones.

The Grenadier might be OK with the BMW inline 6 but I wonder why they did not put in gasoline pushrod V8 from General Motors. It is not like fuel economy is going to be a consideration and at least the engine would be durable. USA will be their big market so with an engine common to North America, the vehicle would be as rugged as it looks.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/202...-look-land-rover-defender-style-off-road-suv/

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figure my non turbocharged AJ 4.4 V8 is the best engine Jaguar ever made and question all the new ones.

I have to agree, that LR3 4.4 may be the most reliable and low maintenance engine ever. They seem to run forever. (Audi 2.8 from the late 90's is a close 2nd) But I do prefer the power of the LR4 5.0 V8 despite the frail crossover pipes, leaking valve covers and appetite for water pumps.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree, that LR3 4.4 may be the most reliable and low maintenance engine ever. They seem to run forever. (Audi 2.8 from the late 90's is a close 2nd) But I do prefer the power of the LR4 5.0 V8 despite the frail crossover pipes, leaking valve covers and appetite for water pumps.
I note the comment re leaking valve covers. I have replaced the valve cover gaskets twice on my 4.4 in the last 15 years and 200,000 miles but I consider that acceptable. It would be more correct to say the gaskets were seeping or showing signs of leaking.

As to the term "frail crossover pipes", fortunately I do not know what that means, but it seems to me the sort of thing that LR could resolve if it really mattered to them.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As to the term "frail crossover pipes", fortunately I do not know what that means, but it seems to me the sort of thing that LR could resolve if it really mattered to them.

That's optimistic and flies in the face of history. There are countless threads on this in every LR forum. It was a design flaw that was never addressed correctly after the fact with (better) replacement parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA