2020 Defender Drive Impressions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xrp86

Reaction score
View attachment 11787

See more pics here https://www.instagram.com/tasmandefender/?hl=en

I got my P300 last week. Absolutely love it. I was definitely concerned about going from a 2010 LR4 (V8) to a P300 Defender (4 cylinder) - but after driving it for a week now I have absolutely no regrets. Yes, the P400 has a 2 sec 0-60 advantage, but I dont see the need for it as a daily driver or on the trails. Definitely feels more refined and power delivery is much smoother compared to my LR4.

2nd row (with the 3rd row option) slides forward to make more room in the back for the third row or cargo. Definely comfy in the second row.

Only downside for me the cargo space, but since i'm not selling my LR4 for now its not a big deal.

You feel the new defender faster more powerful than the LR4? I also have a 2010 5.0 and was looking into the D2. I don’t want to drop $$$$ for a decked out model. I want steelies too!

Perseus

Reaction score
After 10 days and 1400 miles on my new Defender/P300 with 18" white steelies, I can honestly say that I'm extremely satisfied with both on-road and off-road performance. I have extensive experience with other Land Rovers, D1, DII, LR3, LR4, and a few Range Rovers. On-road, performance, ergonomics, seat comfort, technology, vision, all superior to the LR3/4.4 and LR4/SCV6 with 275/65R18. Off-road, my new Defender with the rear active locking diff had very little wheel spin navigating steep rutted and loose rocky trails and this was with the GY all terrain factory tires at 35 psi.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You feel the new defender faster more powerful than the LR4? I also have a 2010 5.0 and was looking into the D2. I don’t want to drop $$$$ for a decked out model. I want steelies too!

Having test driven a P400 for over an hour on all types of roads, my answer is yes. It does not sound like my LR4 in terms of V8 growl but it certainly moves faster and is more agile.

Kev M

Reaction score
View attachment 11787

See more pics here https://www.instagram.com/tasmandefender/?hl=en

I got my P300 last week. Absolutely love it. I was definitely concerned about going from a 2010 LR4 (V8) to a P300 Defender (4 cylinder) - but after driving it for a week now I have absolutely no regrets. Yes, the P400 has a 2 sec 0-60 advantage, but I dont see the need for it as a daily driver or on the trails. Definitely feels more refined and power delivery is much smoother compared to my LR4.

2nd row (with the 3rd row option) slides forward to make more room in the back for the third row or cargo. Definely comfy in the second row.

Only downside for me the cargo space, but since i'm not selling my LR4 for now its not a big deal.
I don't have anything too relevant to say except that blue is gorgeous.

We have had our new P400 in Green for a bit over a month and I love it (though I don't get to drive it all that much).

Hope to convince the wife to follow me down some forest trails soon or I'll have to wait for the next OBX run to see how she does off-road.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway that 18" LR3 wheels will fit on a new Defender? I have a set of those on my '12 LR4 (with spacers) and was just wondering...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway that 18" LR3 wheels will fit on a new Defender? I have a set of those on my '12 LR4 (with spacers) and was just wondering...

Maybe with spacers, but certainly not without spacers. Even LR4 19" and 20" wheels do not fit the Defender. Same bolt pattern but very different wheel offset.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe with spacers, but certainly not without spacers. Even LR4 19" and 20" wheels do not fit the Defender. Same bolt pattern but very different wheel offset.
Thanks. Just seems like a lot of work to get the right new Defender with 18" wheels.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only post this here and certainly not on the LR4 forum:

After 1 week and 200 miles, I love my new Defender. Despite all the criticism posted about it on forums here, JLR did a great job. Jumping back into my beloved LR4 it suddenly feels a lot older than before I got my Defender. I always thought I'd keep my LR4 forever but by spring I'll probably sell it. (LR4 has winter tires & no Nokian winter tires available yet in Defender size)

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only post this here and certainly not on the LR4 forum:

After 1 week and 200 miles, I love my new Defender. Despite all the criticism posted about it on forums here, JLR did a great job. Jumping back into my beloved LR4 it suddenly feels a lot older than before I got my Defender. I always thought I'd keep my LR4 forever but by spring I'll probably sell it. (LR4 has winter tires & no Nokian winter tires available yet in Defender size)
Glad it arrived and that you love it. Ignore the haters! I’m jealous. I’ll buy yours when it’s 8 yrs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a drive in the Defender today. Was thinking I should have waited for it instead of getting the new Discovery in 2019.

Was very impressed. This is the legacy replacement to the Defender and LR4. It’s tough looking, rides well, and you can tell it’ll be a great off-roader.

That said, I was happy to get my Discovery back from the service department. The Defender just doesn’t do it for my uses these days. The Discovery has grown on me, and I need the extra cargo room in the back. It can off-road, where needed, and is way more comfortable. The Defender seats just aren’t nearly as nice.

Based on past experience with first model-year releases, I’d probably wait a year for the kinks to be removed from the Defender, but it’s a great truck

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA