20inch wheel Offset required? 275/55R20 KO2's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't 20 inch wheels be used for off road use? Not enough sidewall? Get a strong enough tire and that will take that problem down

You can't let enough air out for good traction. With a fully inflated tire, you have no where near the traction of a tire at 20 psi. It's night and day different. A deflated tire can 'wrap' over objects which not only provides over 50% more contact area of the tread to surface/object, but that also allows the tire to deform away from dangerous objects that can cause a puncture.

Consider the amount of force a basic balloon requires to pop against a knife point. A super tight balloon can simply drift in the air onto the point and pop. No pressure at all really, hard to even feel. However, take a balloon with almost no air, in your hand, press on knife. It's actually going to take some intentional pressure to break the rubber material. Kind of like your hand if it's moving quickly vs gentle pressure. For either, a lot more pressure is endured before puncture. Pretty much the same on tires and sharp stuff off road.

So the soft tire wins huge on traction and puncture resistance but there's more...

The ride is **** for hours at 40-45 psi. The ride is like a freakin magic carpet dream at 20 psi. This is nice for sure but it also allows the tire to become an active part of the suspension, not just an extension of the rigid wheel.

The added deflection in a soft tire, plus more sidewall, actually starts to appreciably increase the effective articulation of the suspension and overall range of 4 tire traction. This is because on the same obstacle, a stiff inflated tired vehicle will left tires off the ground, like a diagonal situation, a lot sooner than mine will with a full inch more sidewall plus 2-3" of actual tire deformation. The two tires that deform so much allow the other 2 to stay in contact and therefor help drive through the spot.

Basically, the whole 20" vs 18" thing is not just one aspect. There are several things that all come into play making the whole system so much better than simply comparing a tire size.

People taking 20's off road much eventually screw up the wheels and switch which is way more expensive than just going the practical route up front.

I like 20's, they look awesome, and on highway trips they can feel a little snappier but my current big trip set of Michelin MS2 are set to firm psi and running 80-90 in canyon interstate sections is as stable as ever. Even those can be aired-down to mid 20's for long days on gravel forest roads. Sometimes the coolest places are just beyond the basic gravel road. I am not a fan of changing tires even at home, I am much less a fan of getting a flat off road, in the sun, let alone at night, in rain, snow, mud, bugs flying around, whatever.

A lot of big trucks roll around on 20's, they are also rolling a 35" or bigger tire so there is still a lot of sidewall. The lr3/4rrs has a limited tire size even with the mods and can actually go into much more rugged areas than a full size truck will ever see.

Can you imagine bringing a girlfriend along and you dork up a 20" wheel having to change it trailside for a spare and she's thinking "what a short sighted man chose an inappropriate wheel and hauled me out here knowing that" LOL

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why can't anyone just answer this man's question? If he wanted to know about 18's, he would've asked about them. Obviously he wants to go with 20's, so either give him some sort of answer, or don't reply

Because, for the reasons everyone else mentioned, 20" wheels are a terrible choice if you're building a "project vehicle" with off-road in mind.

Maybe this thread was useful to more than just OP.

Steve T

Reaction score
Well there goes the budget! and where do i get those Mudtech Raid wheels! You SOB’s just cost me another 2k in budget LOL.. but saved me from that “short sighted girlfriend/wife issue!” So i guess it’s worth it.

I gues i got what i asked for in a round about sense.. lots of things I did not consider.

Looks like the Mudtechs give me more of the look i was going for vs. compos.

My issue is I will be using this as my daily driver and not a primary off road vehicle. But I don’t want to sacrifice too much without being realistic either. I plan to take it west to Sedona/Moab Colorado and the likes... but a daily driver at first. I have a 25mike commute to work only a couple few days a month. Rest is local driving.. kids here, kids there kind of stuff..

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can order the Mudtechs directly from them. If you fish around on their website, they have shipping options to the U.S. As far as I know, you'll be the guinea pig around here with those.

There's also the Evo Corse wheels that just became available:

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/co...e-dakarzero-18x8-5-land-rover-lr4-5x120-et-35
ET 35 will take away from max usable size tire though. Also, 8.5 adds to the reduction in max tire diameter.

Now if someone just wants a squat looking beast with 9" wide wheels and wide tires flush to fenders, then they can certainly go with smaller diameter close to factory like 30". If not going on trails with warning signs, where you'd want as much height and sidewall as possible, it won't matter and would look badass.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there goes the budget! and where do i get those Mudtech Raid wheels! You SOB’s just cost me another 2k in budget LOL.. but saved me from that “short sighted girlfriend/wife issue!” So i guess it’s worth it.

I gues i got what i asked for in a round about sense.. lots of things I did not consider.

Looks like the Mudtechs give me more of the look i was going for vs. compos.

My issue is I will be using this as my daily driver and not a primary off road vehicle. But I don’t want to sacrifice too much without being realistic either. I plan to take it west to Sedona/Moab Colorado and the likes... but a daily driver at first. I have a 25mike commute to work only a couple few days a month. Rest is local driving.. kids here, kids there kind of stuff..

So that totally sounds like a BFG ko2 plan but the 18's will allow you to have no worries at all when you want to take the 'long' cut through some CO high divide crossing trail instead of the interstate. I've been on trips from Seattle to DC and in between ended up deciding to spend the night on the divide on a route that would've been really sketchy on 20's, Yet I had no worries with a proper tire set up. Part of the equation with some of these is the E load range is also a lot more durable off road and designed to handle long drives at low psi.

Those Mudtech wheels look badass to be honest. I have never liked designs that don't follow the 5 factor in the spokes/holes. Meaning, I don't like the compos odd number whereas the Mudtech are 10 spokes as are many of rover factory wheels.

Now YOU are messing up my budget and I want those now LOL

Steve T

Reaction score
So that totally sounds like a BFG ko2 plan but the 18's will allow you to have no worries at all when you want to take the 'long' cut through some CO high divide crossing trail instead of the interstate. I've been on trips from Seattle to DC and in between ended up deciding to spend the night on the divide on a route that would've been really sketchy on 20's, Yet I had no worries with a proper tire set up. Part of the equation with some of these is the E load range is also a lot more durable off road and designed to handle long drives at low psi.

Those Mudtech wheels look badass to be honest. I have never liked designs that don't follow the 5 factor in the spokes/holes. Meaning, I don't like the compos odd number whereas the Mudtech are 10 spokes as are many of rover factory wheels.

Now YOU are messing up my budget and I want those now LOL

Well you and I can be the Guinea Pigs together!

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F612E251-031C-41B9-8C36-D5A3659E0477.jpeg
83FCF193-5532-4C64-993C-067491097317.jpeg
E5D0898D-8F9F-460B-AC1E-C18AFED6EA9A.jpeg
Decent sidewall is useful

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can order the Mudtechs directly from them. If you fish around on their website, they have shipping options to the U.S. As far as I know, you'll be the guinea pig around here with those.

There's also the Evo Corse wheels that just became available:

https://www.mainlineoverland.com/co...e-dakarzero-18x8-5-land-rover-lr4-5x120-et-35

They show a bunch of sweet builds. I like the experience level showing there. The wheels look like a great option. Tricky on that width and offset though. It isn't designed to 100% maximize the lr3/4 size ratio issues like the Compomotive does better. I forget the Mudtech spec but 8" and as snug as possible barely allowing the brakes to clear is the ideal spec like Compo used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV