$4.00 radiator cap - $3000 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
Commentary - No problem.

The other night I went and changed out a radiator cap with a spare I had for emergencies. The time it took to dig out the remainder of the cap threaded into the radiator and the fact that if the Rover had not blown the cap in the driveway, what problems could have abounded.

I got to thinking on the way home that LR has a $4.00 radiator cap protecting a $3000 engine. !!!:bootyshak!!!

That night I went to expidition exchange and purchased the replacement cap for $20.00. Once installed -- peice of mind.

If not the EE solution what other home fixes have been performed by the masses?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read the board and you will find many home fixes.... you say that about LR and the cheap radiator cap protecting a $3000 engine, keep in mind most vehicles are protected by the same cheap caps.

How about a Lotus V8 and a cheap $30 timing belt that needs changed every 2 years or it may cost you $25,000 for a new engine.

Mark

Reaction score
Thanks Joey.
However, the are bound to be some members that have found work-arounds not documented in this forum.
I was wondering that if I was stranded and an Advance Auto or similiar auto store was around the corner, what could I use to correct the busted plug problem. The time it took to remove the old plug and trying to be careful as I methodically scraped/cut the bottom part of the plug out of the radiator, got me thinking about how silly it is to have a piece of plastic protecting an engine. Still I would rather have a plug problem that a $25K engine problem. Whew!

Come on guys give me some suggestions as alternative repairs....

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sorry that plastic plug.... I didn't realize that is the one your were talking about.... agreed... piece of junk...

You need to replace that with the brass one. I know you can get it from Nathan at Discount British Parts for less than $10

http://www.discountbritishparts.com/

RoverDisco98

Reaction score
If you are talking about the plug on the top of the rad then head down to your local hardware store and pick up pipe plug (used to plug off gas and water pipes). I think one for 3/4" id water pipe is correct but just match to the cheap LR plastic one to be sure.. That and some sealer has held in mine for more than a year.

Mark

Reaction score
Received my Radiator Cap today from E&E and installed. Now I can sleep at night and drive with easy of mind. Forget that plastic cap.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark; who is E & E and where are they located as i'm looking for a brass plug.
Dead leaking Rover parked on street here waiting for stealers plastic to get me running.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not a national taper pipe thread.

Huh? Seemed like a good suggestion....and a lot cheaper than the Great Divide Edition Malleable Radiator Plug from those vultures at EE (it's the most elegant solution I'm sure, at least in their minds).

But hey, if you've got the money, knock yourself out! :stupid:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM