5.0 V8 Fueling and Efficiency Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for all of you 5.0 V8 owners out there: Is everyone putting in premium in their whips or is anyone using mid grade without any issues?

Also, what is your average fuel efficiency? This question stem last from deciding whether I send my injectors in for servicing.

I'm averaging about 16.5 mpg mixed between hwy and city with premium fuel.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Consensus is premium only. I mention it in the above thread, but there's a video on here somewhere that seems to be a presentation given by an expert on the JLR 5.0 engine to a room full of mechanics. He stated that using lower octane fuels is the cause of some problems in these engines.

rolledover

Reaction score
I'm averaging about 16mpg mixed driving using premium only. I just did head gaskets/timing and had the injectors cleaned 5k ago. I used Injector experts in OH and would highly recommend them, super quick turnaround time.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this may have been the video, but I'm not sure:

Really informative video, regardless. And a little depressing. Wonder how much of what he said applies also to the SCV6?

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use premium only. I wish I could get such high MPG, I get nowhere near that but drive mostly city, and hills. I think on the highway I get 17-ish.
637085.png

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and the MFI reported mileage is wrong - I think it must be using UK gallons, not US gallons, as it always reports higher numbers.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really informative video, regardless. And a little depressing. Wonder how much of what he said applies also to the SCV6?

I remember being glum after I watched it the first time, and I don't have the courage to watch it again.

Nonetheless, I am heartened by the number of high mileage LR4s that are appearing on the forums now and then. Mine has around 112k miles now, so it should have a long time left.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV