95 Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

First_Disco

Reaction score
I have a few questions. I bought this used 95 Disco. As it turns out the truck is in pretty good shape. I have not had any major problem.... so far (fingers crossed)! I just have a few things I would like some help on as far as maintenance.

1 I need to change all fluids, so if someone could let me know as to what type of fluid is best for the trans, engine in winter, etc. that would be great (I have no record of anything done to this rig)

2 I have read many forums on the ABS system, it seems that it can be a little tricky at times. I have faith that my system is just acting up cause it's trying to test my love for this truck. I have knocked the sensors back in with a mallet and it did the trick for awhile. My next step is too pull them out and really clean them...instructions on how would be helpful.

3 This ******** told me the ball joints were bad.... I’m thinking they just need to be greased. However, I have no idea where to begin with greasing this truck...so, if someone has any ideas or guides for doing so I would greatly appreciate them.

4 I get a lot of rickety sounds when I first start to turn the wheel as a drive. As soon as I pick up speed it goes away...any thoughts?

5 today I'm planning on blowing out the MAF with compressed air to try and clean it up? good idea or not? if not, what would you use to clean it and some of the others???

6 I have an order into A.B. for new wires and car, rotor, and fuel filter. But my concern is this. It looked like when I changed the plugs last time that the previous owner striped one of the plugs... I took it out and put the new one in and it seemed to seal fine....how can I check as this has lead me to believe its the main cause for my lack to acceleration...MISFIRE????

Thank you all for your responses

Kenn
BEND, OR

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just so you know the reason for this issue in posting this post was you have not been a member long and you are posting a link. I approved one of your 6 posts and hopefully it will not happen again.

1 = on an older Disco I would use 10w30 maybe 5w30, but not 0w30. For the engine. Diffs, Transfer case 90w oil.

2 = you can either clean them where they are with a pressure washer or try using some brake cleaner.

3 = You can not grease the ball joints, they do not have grease fittings. You can grease the driveshaft in 5 places IIRC.

4 = Noise when turning the wheel at slow speed is an indicator of the CV joints either needing grease or going bad. Order some (one shot) grease and I will let you know where to drain/fill it.

5 = DO NOT use compressed air to clean the MAF, buy some MAF cleaner at your local autoparts store.

6 = If one is stripped out this is not good, you can helicoil it, but not sure how well it will hold up in the alluminum block.

Also I would never recommend going to the local oil place to have fluids changed unless you really trust them or you watch.

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hey Thanks Joey-

I'm sorry about trying to post so many. I kept getting an interal error msg. Anyways, I can remove the link for ya. Not a bid deal, I didn't know I had put that there. Kind of a habit I guess. Thanks again for the advice. I'll get right on these things and let you know what I come up with.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The link shouldn't be an issue any longer now that I have approved it... but if you get the error again, just give me a bit to approve the post.

let me know if I can help out any more.

First_Disco

Reaction score
Joey-

You Are The Man!!! Thank You So Much For That Link...i Was Looking On Ebay For It And They Wanted Like $300.00 For It! I Really Appreciate It. Now, I'm Just Waiting For Parts I'll Be Sure To Let You Know What Or If Anything Comes Up

First_Disco

Reaction score
Joey-
So I got 10W30 for the engine, 90w for the transfer and diffs. Grease for drive shafts and CV joint. What about the swivel housing?

Please keep in mind that this is a first for me, i'm completely clueless

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Swivels use a one shot grease that you can buy from any Rover parts place... this also greases, the CV's.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
by the way nice web site...

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hey Thanks
Let me know if I can send you anything. It the least I can do after all you've done

First_Disco

Reaction score
Hello-
This messege is for joey or anyone else who knows these autos in an out.
I recently changed my oil. 10w30 for my oil disco (95). I'm driving to a friend's house. Floor the peddle.....now, i'm not shifting gears till 4,500 rpm's??? whats with this???? everyones looking at me as I pass like I'm some kind of gear head. reaving the engine like i have something to prove, which in reality...the fact im in a LR says enough..help. did I mess something up?

What can I do????

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72