96 rover. with electrical and mechanical problems. Can anyone help?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverboy3766

Reaction score
i drive a 1996 range rover 4.0 SE. there is alot of problems with my rover. but one of them is about to keep me from driving it. when i take off, there is a really bad and kindof loud banging like noise coming from the back underneath the car. i dont know if it is the transfer case,tranmission,drivesaft , or torqe converter. i was wounder what i should do and who to take it too besides land rover. also, my air conditioning and heat only works when it wants to, my dash like speedometer,tachometer, everything on the dash doesnt work and every light is lit up on the dash. and when i hit a really hard bumb on the road going about 55mph the front wheels start shaking and wobbling and the steering wheel goes crazy, i have to stop or slow down alot for it to calm down and drive normal. aslo when i hit a bumb on the road, doesnt matter how fast, the car goes beep beep beep , you know that little alarm in the dash. does anyoone have any advice on what i should do. PLEASE HELP, I LOVE MY CAR.

Attachments

• 111207_1536[01].jpg
    111207_1536[01].jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 46
  • rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
loud banging sounds like the http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/TVF100010G.cfm

A/C / Heat will be the fan switch is going bad.

Dash not working is more then likely a bad ground/earth.

Bump on road causing the beep beep sounds like the brain dead today.. but it is a switch under the hood on the firewall.... it is for emergencies... cant think..

Also look here good info. http://www.roverparts.com/TechTips/

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
my dash like speedometer,tachometer, everything on the dash doesnt work and every light is lit up on the dash.

Sounds like a bad ground if the speedo, tach and others are not working... may also be a bad connection in the wiring harness.

roverboy3766

Reaction score
my dash like speedometer,tachometer, everything on the dash doesnt work and every light is lit up on the dash.

Sounds like a bad ground if the speedo, tach and others are not working... may also be a bad connection in the wiring harness.
also do range rovers have like a main computer in them?
Cause i forgot to mention that i installed a master cut off switch because when you turn the car off, the dash is still lite up and you can not take the key out unless you disconnect the battery or if you turn the switch.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Dang, I would say you having some diffent electrical issues... I hate to point someone elsewhere, but I would like to see you get the help you need.

Try over at www.rangerovers.net as well... they are some very knowledgeable people over there that can probably help better than I can.

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have a short to either the bcu or the cluster itself.

pull the cluster out and check for any issues.

and get rid of the damn cut off switch.

dont ever mess around with RR electronics. either wise you are replacing the bcu.

and paying a hefty towing bill and twenty five hundred dollars for the part.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
With what your showing me I would say corrosion in the connections to the ECU or BCU...

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
instrument cluster is the dashboard,

the bcu is under the passenger seat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM