97 Disco light problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

P

paulbrapp

Hello everyone, I am new to the land rover world. I just purchased a 97 Disco a few days ago. Last night when I got in and started it and turned on the lights. The lights would flicker, headlights and interior lights. I am not sure what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Also the light behind my temperature contols I believe is burned out. Is that an easy fix? I am unsure as to how to remove the paneling.

Thanks,
Paul

D

discomike

Paul,
I may not be much help on this, but the only thing that comes to mind is a dirty fuse, bad connection, bad ground or failing light switch.
Which I could be of more help,
Mike J.

96Discose7

Paul, welcome to the mostly wonderful world of rover ownership....
for your dimming issue, sounds like the alternator might be tired, you can have many places check your charging system, could be failing brushes in the alt. [did lights become brighter after bringing the revs up past 2000?, this is the point where the alt will kick in] as for your dash lights , thats easy, two screws up front of the console and lift off and back the trim shroud then you will see a left and right screw for the cluster, but you have to get the bulbs from the dealer, they will be the black base i belive, also good time to check any other bulbs that might be out while you are there....
also, go ahead and have all your fluids changed if you do not know when they were last changed, then at least you will have a base to go by.... good luck and let us know how you make out -Andy

P

paulbrapp

Thank you both for your help, I will keep you posted as to what the problem was. I must say that this is a great website...

96Discose7

also....

check your belts, they might be slipping, some other tests you can do are:
turn key to position 2 and turn on your lights.... do you get same symptoms? if not then the problem is likely with the alt/belt.... when it is up and running you can also check out www.discoweb.org , same layout as here but there are always at least 30 members online all eager to give you their 2 cents.... like me, but that site is down for now, good luck and just keep up on the maintenace and the like and you will be good to go..... -Andy

P

paulbrapp

As for the problem with my lights, I still have not found the problem. The problem does not happen when the key is in the II position (engine not running) the lights are fine. It is only when the motor is running. I am guessing it is something with my alternator.

D

discomike

Paul,
Did you buy the truck from a dealer? If so, in most states there are saftey requirements that each vehicle must meet in order to be sold, yours does not meet them and as such the selling dealer should fix the problem.
Go for it,
Mike J.

I

incawarrior

It could also be the light switch stalk. The trouble is that as the switch wears out the dash lights flicker when you go from park to full lights. Mine would not light the dash when the stalk was on full. The other thing that was not lighting was the rear tailights. Very dangerous at night.

P

paulbrapp

Yes, I bought it from a dealer, I will give him a call today! Light switch stalk?

P

paulbrapp

I called the dealer that I purchased from and he is not able to see me until later this week. I am worried that I am going to end up killing my battery before then. Does anyone know how to test my alternator to make sure that it is working order. I have a meter but am not sure as to where I can get my readings from. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boye1