98 disco Popping and missing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 disco, body has 177777, miles on it , motor I have no idea the previous owner must of found it thru a junkyard.. I did a complete head job on motor, with complete valve job...

New: head gaskets, intake gaskets, valve cover, spark plug wires, exhaust manifold, and thermostat gasket and thermostat as well.
Have not put new plugs which I am aware that I need to do.. I've read some other posts and some knowledge I have found is to checke ecu connections because that will cause the cam position sensor to not work right ... Of course the code that came up was a p1317 which says is a misfire. Which Duh I know it is misfireing....
Need help guys and ideas????

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If the plugs are older than a year, plugs and wires, as you already stated. If not that, dirty injectors or the cam is worn out.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should I check the fuels pressure first on the rails?? And if so if the cam is worn, can u get a bigger cam? If so do u know a site..for cam and also injectors

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Start with plugs... you can check fuel pressure if low fuel pump could be worn out. Cam yes you can go larger just remember you have an unknown aged engine. Aluminumv8.com

I just decided to part out my 97 with 160k due to a soft frame and it is starting to burn oil. Sometimes you have to think at what point do you stop putting money in. I am not saying yours is there. Just how much do you upgrade an older vehicle.

richterjustin08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pic of the stamp on the block , where can I search and it will tell me the information of the block, or motor...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to speak to the service or parts manager at the dealer ship to have them pull that information.
Did you resurface the heads, who's wires are you using, even if they are a good brand, you may have pulled one of them partially apart.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635