Is this a failing crossover pipe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joeharby

Reaction score
Hello all,

I purchased a 2013 LR4 a couple months ago with ~150,000 (incredibly good condition/looks almost new inside and out), but have been adding a pint of coolant every couple of weeks. I thought perhaps that it was a head gasket since I also have intermittent (very intermittent/historic) misfires on a couple cylinders.

I've replaced spark plugs and ignition coils (big improvement on misfires, but still present occasionally). I've now been running some Liqui Moly LM2030 Fuel System Cleaner and again, noticing improvement (perhaps I just need to replace the injectors too, and I need to stop being cheap)?

Last night I ran a hydrocarbon block test on the expansion tank, tried several times, fluid remained blue every time, so no exhaust gasses detected. However while I was in there wearing a headlamp, it was much easier to see things being out of direct sunlight, and I think I see dried up coolant residue on the rear crossover pipe. At least it looks like the rear crossover pipe to me. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2258.jpeg
    IMG_2258.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 119

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
At ALL times need to use coolant that is OAT compatible. OAT = Organic Acid Technology

In an emergency I would use Prestone products.

I always use Rover fluids exclusively.
I know some will disagree, but I fail to see how saving pennies on other vendor products is cost effective - these things are finicky enough without inviting issues.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
At ALL times need to use coolant that is OAT compatible. OAT = Organic Acid Technology

In an emergency I would use Prestone products.

I always use Rover fluids exclusively.
I know some will disagree, but I fail to see how saving pennies on other vendor products is cost effective - these things are finicky enough without inviting issues.
I completely flushed out front and rear hvac till clear and switched to dexcool, simply for availability.

Imagine having cooling issues deep in the middle of nowhere and somehow you dump a ton of coolant in +100*F weather. You only carry 1 gallon of coolant. Luckily a Jeep and I carry dexcool and was able to do a field repair and use 1.5 gallons of coolant. Yes, water would have been ok to use too, but it heats up way too quick.

I purchased a 2013 LR4 a couple months ago with ~150,000 (incredibly good condition/looks almost new inside and out), but have been adding a pint of coolant every couple of weeks.

Going back to OPs issue, I highly recommend that you overhaul your entire cooling parts when doing it. Front/rear crossover pipes, thermostat, water pump w/gaskets, oil cooler w/o-rings, and any bulging hoses. Last time I checked diy was less than $700 for all oem parts.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, water would have been ok to use too, but it heats up way too quick.
Water actually has a higher specific heat than coolant - the coolant makes it a worse coolant, but it won't freeze. Adding in the coolant will raise the boiling point a little, but not a ton. Preventing boiling is accomplished through pressurizing the system.

gillygong

Reaction score
Jumping in here to ask some advice about my LR4 w/ 142k miles.

I have dealer service records from the previous owner, where I can see that the front crossover pipe, thermostat, water pump, and some but not all hoses were replaced at 90k, and rear coolant manifold and radiator were replaced at 120k.

I know the rear crossover is way more of a pain, so is 20k on the rear too soon to worry?

There's currently a very slight leak form the radiator- assuming it would make sense to replace that at the same time, right?

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My rear crossover leaked onto the top of the transmission. I'd look there and look underneath where you park to see if the coolant is leaking onto the ground when you are about to leave. If it is, then you can determine front or back and help narrow down where the leak is coming from. It could be the water pump too. Try to wiggle the fan. If it moves then that problem is a bad bearing on the water pump and a plausible source of the leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72