A/C Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after some searching around I have learned about blend motors and how much they suck. So here is the issue, I would like to know if I am on the right track, 06 LR3 SE 101k miles, left work today to get into my hot (80 degrees) LR3, turned a/c on, not really cooling, driver side blowing coldish air, passenger side blowing warm.

So I get home, hook up the IID tool and get the following faults:
B1B76 - Front left air blend stepper actuator
B1B77 - Front right air blend stepper actuator
B1B78 - System Pressure

So I checked the pressure via the IID tool and it reads between 750 and 800 KPa, coil temperature of 36.5C.

So here is what I think:
Replace right and left blend motors,
I might be low on R134.

Here is what I have done so far:
Drank beer,
looked under dash after removing some trim,
realized I had no idea what I was looking for,
googled where the blend motor was located found nothing I could decipher,
searched here and found posts relating to ?P38? and some older model LR's,
drank more beer,
post here.

What I need is to know if I am moving in the right direction for this repair, and where do I find these mystical blend motors behind the dash. As far as refrigerant goes I will be doing that on my own.

Also, is roverpartswest out of business? can't seem to access their site.

Thanks.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you can operate the blend motor doors manually via the IID Tool test menu. Might want to at least start there and see if they register as "open" and "closed" when you try to manipulate them manually. Then look at their status when you turn on the a/c and set the different zone to different temps.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the end of the summer I was having the same problem. All of a sudden the AC would blow warm air or you could hear the fan running but no air was coming out of the vents. One time I hit a bump in the road and the cold AC came back on. I have had this problem on previous Audis and it was always the blend stepper motor.

I figured I would fix it in the spring after winter.

Crunchy When Wet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cmb6s - Tried finding something for ventilation in IID tool, only live values, which reports both "face", but I am pretty sure they are both not on face, I think its telling me they should be "face".

PaulLR3 - Sounds like what I am experiencing, minus the bump part, might take it off road with ac on full blast, maybe that will be a good temporary fix.

Any one have any idea how to get to these, diagram or napkin drawing? I am sure they are behind the dash, but where back there is the question.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... you asked for it. :biggrin:

See my album here for HVAC information. If you want all the additional instructions on how to remove the stuff to even GET to the blend motors, just PM me your email address and I'll try to send it. There's a lot of bits and pieces and I would need to find each one. Suffice to say that it looks like the driver's side is the huge PITA. Passenger side actuator seems to be more accessible.

saitman

Reaction score
Blend motors fault i read it to everycar came to my garage.you must first see the r134.

RRSSC

Reaction score
Hello all, I am a new member to this forum. Sorry to bring up this old thread, but does bring the freon to its proper operating pressure fix the blender motor faults? Thus, making the blender motors functioning again? Thank you all in advance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635