A new oil filter on every oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I change the oil and Filter every 5k on all my cars. One time I was doing the X5, and the filter had compressed. It was a Mahle.

it's your truck....

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I change the oil and Filter every 5k on all my cars. One time I was doing the X5, and the filter had compressed. It was a Mahle.

it's your truck....

You sure it's wasn't a knockoff?

5k for an oil filter is a joke. It's not like it's hard to check the condition of an oil filter on the LR4.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have cut open a few of my oil filters as well and they usually look pretty good on the inside but i still go ahead and change them with every oil change. My fear is not knowing after how many miles it would start to disintegrate.

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change the filter ever oil change at 5k miles. I don't know that it's necessary but I'm sure it doesn't hurt and it's cheap and easy enough I don't see a reason to chance it.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

it's your truck....

Compressed? like lengthwise? Or did it collapse inward? Was it an external can or a filter insert?

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compressed? like lengthwise? Or did it collapse inward? Was it an external can or a filter insert?

Inward, Insert, and it was a Mahle. Not even sure why I was stupid enough to post my opinion on an Oil/Filter thread, as it's all so subjective. Just do what you feel comfortable doing, that's what i do.....Been doing this for 40yrs.....

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. Would you say engine tolerances, oil and filter technology has advanced in those 40 years? I would say yes and is why I am comfortable following Land Rover on the yearly filter change. However I feel the real boogeyman is fuel dilution so the oil gets done every 6 months. The oil at 6 months is probably overkill as well but it helps me sleep at night.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99