A new oil filter on every oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had 2 OEM LR oil filters start to leak at the seams after several months of use. Both replaced for free, but it's a hassle. I do not know if they wear from pressure or if it was just a fluke but I doubt I will ever not change one now when doing an oil change!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know an oil filter is leaking when it's inside the canister?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it is but if you go back to start you will see I only put about 16k kms on the LR4 yearly. That is only about 10k miles.

Mcb14230

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it is a waste of time and money. I only go 8000kms (5000 miles) between semi annual changes . I top side the whole service so the oil only portion takes about 10 mins max. Why only once a year on the filter? I have dissected many filters after the full year and the media is essentially new with almost no contamination. The only reason to change the filter is to deal with the scenario where a filter media gets so clogged that it goes to bypass. A new filter does not filter any better than a used one (as long as it is not clogged). The filter media is not degrading and allowing contamination to circulate. When I change the filter in the spring I'll dissect and post some pics. If your filter is getting close to being clogged after 1 year then you have serious issues with your engine. This is not 1940 lol.
I agree with nearly all of this . But science has proven that modern synthetic oils last longer than the filter . Which is why most mfgs have pushed their oil Change intervals out to 15k. So either you should do both or neither.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
All right I'm taking another pole. I wonder how many of you out there change the oil filter on every oil change? And how many out there do the oil filter every other oil change?

Looks like most of those in this forum do an oil change every five to seven thousand miles (me included) so I'm wondering about the oil filter change frequency.
Me I always replace oil filter with every oil change.The Filter is there to stop any minute steel filings and other contaminants entering the engine and doing damage. Ok changing oil every 5 to 7 thousand miles should prevent this happening but for an extra £10 I feel what the hell. I’d rather pay £10 every 5 to 7 thousand miles than have to fork out £3500 to £6000 for a new engine all for the sake of a ten pound filter. Incidentally Land Rover have said one of the weaknesses we have with our engines especially the Diesel engines is the oil pump. On my Cambelt change this year I was asked if I’d like my oil pump changed as well as they had found a lot of Diesel engines sludging up and seizing the engine once no oil was being circulated round the engine. This problem is very noticeable on the 2.7 TDV6 and the 3.0TDV6.So should we also fork out another £146 on a new oil pump every 80-100000 miles.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No idea what the oil burners require I am referencing the gasoline engines in NA. The diesels sound like maintenance heavy problem childs. A proper filter for the 5.0L is close to $50-60 Cdn so the cost is close to 50% of the oil change for me. IMO the largest risk to the LR4 5.0L is fuel dilution due to the DI setup, especially in cold climates. In addition used oil being pushed through the PCV and coating the deep intake tract and the backside of the intake valves is a recipe for increased carbonization. A new filter won't protect against this but changing out oil will. Will oil outlast a filter? who knows but Amsoil is now making a filter rated for 25 000 miles...I thought Fram was crazy at 24 000 kms. Remember a new filter does not filter any better than an old one. It is only if the old filter plugs and goes into bypass. My experience is that a filter run for a full year is now where close to "plugged". If it is you have other issues. The risk of media failure is a real concern but I think this is mitigated by buying quality filters and inspecting them very carefully before installation.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99