a-pillar trim blew off in high winds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rigth sided a-pillar trim piece, that sits along both side of the front windshield blew off from high cross winds while driving on sunday. snapped it back in and after a few miles did it again. Dealer states would have to replicate it to do a warranty repair. So, I went to parts and there are in fact a newer style retaining clips, new are yellow and considerably beefier, old are white. I just bought a set for both pillars for 25 bucks, rather than wait an hour for the tech to drive it and say he couldn't replicate the problem.

fyi, beware of strong cross winds.......

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's nuts! I've never heard of anything like it, but obviously it's happened somewhere, at sometime, and possibly often enough to warrant LR to improve the clips.

May I ask, don't you live in the Bay Area? The wind just won't let up, I'm sick of it already... Windy city like Chicago. And I hate wind, it's my enemy.

Last edited:

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's nuts! I've never heard of anything like it, but obviously it's happened somewhere, at sometime, and possibly often enough to warrant LR to improve the clips.

May I ask, don't you live in the Bay Area? The wind just won't let up, I'm sick of it already... Windy city like Chicago. And I hate wind, it's my enemy.

yep scared the shitake out of me....all i could think of was the southwest airline passengers.....massive wind noise when that baby popped loose

might be worth a little tug test on your own a-pillar trim piece, if it pops loose too easy, i would def recommend the new clips...

nope, arkansas.....was driving across the southern delta, very very flat, farming region, with huge crop fields and no trees for miles.......my radar detector was picking police radar from like 2 miles away......

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! that is crazy.

It has been really windy here in Nebraska. We have had gusts over 60mph the last couple of days. Even when driving at 60 perpendicular to the wind, nothing happened here.

I would have asked the dealership to pick up the tab on your parts. They can turn it in for warranty and get reimbursed.

Rob

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang! that is crazy.

It has been really windy here in Nebraska. We have had gusts over 60mph the last couple of days. Even when driving at 60 perpendicular to the wind, nothing happened here.

I would have asked the dealership to pick up the tab on your parts. They can turn it in for warranty and get reimbursed.

Rob

i did ask, they said know unless they had it for an hour and could replicate the problem.....not stellar service imo...........but 25 bucks was worth a wasted hour or two......since i could fix it myself in 5 minutes or less........

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that those have to be removed for a new windshield to go in. I wonder if a glass shop could confirm any issues with them blowing off after a replacement.

Rob

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have replicated the issue by bringing my leaf blower to the dealership. :)

Marty

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fairly sure that those have to be removed for a new windshield to go in. I wonder if a glass shop could confirm any issues with them blowing off after a replacement.

Rob

doubt anyone has done enough to see a pattern

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doubt anyone has done enough to see a pattern

Probabally true. Maybe one of the glass deales in Denver would be the best bet. With all of the gravel they put down over the season, I bet there are plently of broken windshields.

I already had to replace mine. Last year after I bought the truck and drove it for a month I had a rock kick up from the SUV in front of me and broke my windshield. The good news is my side trim has stayed firmly attached. Maybe they reinforced it with some adhesive.

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink