Adaptive Headlights Flashing Warning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Radmand

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have a 2012 HSE LUX with the adaptive headlights. I have searched online and this forum (found this thread https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/2010-lr4-headlight-problem-weirdness.22679/page-3) and have not found a solution to my problem. No one has ever commented back with the solution to their issue. Given that this thread was older, I am wondering if anyone has possible solutions.

Problem:
1. The Adaptive Headlights warning lamp comes on and flashes (it is the headlight symbol with a 'U' with arrows on each end under the headlamp)
2. While driving, the headlamps stay on, but very difficult to tell if the adaptive portion of the lights are working (They have never been very noticeable to me)
3. When I turned the car off and turned it back on, the light went away, but came back on after my third start
Note: the light first came on when I was driving back from the mountains around 32 degrees Fahrenheit. When it came back on again, it was around 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

Possible solutions I have found, but I want any additional input: I want your input before I start poking around. :) No need to reinvent the wheel.
  1. Clean around the headlamps and open the hood to see if there is noticeable dirt/grime around the headlamp motor
  2. One person indicated the dealer indicated it is a software issue and an update would cure this, but then indicated replacement of the headlight was needed
  3. Replacement of the headlight
  4. Possible battery issue
  5. One thread spoke about an Adaptive Headlight ECU module (not related to any issues), but have not seen anything outside of that post https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/adaptive-headlight-ecu-module.39882/
  6. I believe the fuses for this are 5 amp and are located @ #49 and #50

Any other ideas would be helpful and especially any ideas from those of you who have received this warning light and your actual solution. Thank you in advance!

waynepruski

Reaction score
I had this problem and I fixed it. I was in a bit of a fender bender and the right Adaptive Headlight was "stuck". I got the idea to look at it myself after hearing the dealer charges $159 simply to just hook the vehicle up to their computer for a diagnostic. I was also encouraged by the post above to "check it myself". What I did: I looked at both headlights - I immediately noticed that the drivers side adaptive headlight was pointed straight forward, and the passenger side was all the way over to the left. I opened the hood and there are two small hex bolts on the top of the headlight housing that hold it to the vehicle frame. I undid these two small hex bolts and the entire housing came right out (be careful because its still "wired" to the rest of the car - you should not have to disconnect wire). I gave the Adaptive Headlight motor and housing - its a rectangular squarish silver module - a little jostle and I felt the headlight pop right back into the straight forward position, now matching the drivers side. I reattached the headlight housing, turned the car on and the "Adaptive Front Lighting System" light on the dash was no longer on and flashing at me!
Hope this might help someone else - who know what can cause these to get "stuck" and not be able to move.

PWD2

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have a 2012 HSE LUX with the adaptive headlights. I have searched online and this forum (found this thread https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/2010-lr4-headlight-problem-weirdness.22679/page-3) and have not found a solution to my problem. No one has ever commented back with the solution to their issue. Given that this thread was older, I am wondering if anyone has possible solutions.

Problem:
1. The Adaptive Headlights warning lamp comes on and flashes (it is the headlight symbol with a 'U' with arrows on each end under the headlamp)
2. While driving, the headlamps stay on, but very difficult to tell if the adaptive portion of the lights are working (They have never been very noticeable to me)
3. When I turned the car off and turned it back on, the light went away, but came back on after my third start
Note: the light first came on when I was driving back from the mountains around 32 degrees Fahrenheit. When it came back on again, it was around 42 degrees Fahrenheit.

Possible solutions I have found, but I want any additional input: I want your input before I start poking around. :) No need to reinvent the wheel.
  1. Clean around the headlamps and open the hood to see if there is noticeable dirt/grime around the headlamp motor
  2. One person indicated the dealer indicated it is a software issue and an update would cure this, but then indicated replacement of the headlight was needed
  3. Replacement of the headlight
  4. Possible battery issue
  5. One thread spoke about an Adaptive Headlight ECU module (not related to any issues), but have not seen anything outside of that post https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/adaptive-headlight-ecu-module.39882/
  6. I believe the fuses for this are 5 amp and are located @ #49 and #50

Any other ideas would be helpful and especially any ideas from those of you who have received this warning light and your actual solution. Thank you in advance!
Can you retrofit them with non adaptive? New adaptive are over $4k

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi