Advice on peeling dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The particularly concerning thing, from looking at your pictures, is that the seams between the leather pieces are pulling apart. That seems to indicate it is being pushed-up/stretched from underneath. What else would pull seams?

I'd definitely get it looked at. Somewhere under there are air bags. Certainly don't want anything related to that system bulging. I'm not sure what else would be swelling up to cause that.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on your clues, it sounds like possible moisture damage. Do you have a factory LR logo'd windshield currently? If so, it still could be a replacement but if it's a Pilkington or other brand, that would signal a replacement in the past for sure. My point is that maybe the windshield was replaced and not installed properly. Have you had it long enough to go through any rain with it to see if there is water entering around the seals?
Aren't all of the OEM glass pieces LR Logo + Pilkington? If not, somebody has replaced every piece of glass on my LR at one point or another.

mshale

Reaction score
The particularly concerning thing, from looking at your pictures, is that the seams between the leather pieces are pulling apart. That seems to indicate it is being pushed-up/stretched from underneath. What else would pull seams?

I'd definitely get it looked at. Somewhere under there are air bags. Certainly don't want anything related to that system bulging. I'm not sure what else would be swelling up to cause that.

I plan on pulling it out soon, so I can tear it apart to see what it was. It’s definitely not the passenger airbag. It’s the only section that isn’t peeling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are likely many Texas and Florida flood cars out there from last year's major storms that are being sold/traded by owners that never reported damage because they did not have the proper insurance to cover it. This does seem like a rather extreme situation - was it like this when you purchased it?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah buyers beware of flooded cars. A Chicagoland dealer told me that the best part of being a LR dealer is that when the dealership flooded all of the LR inventory was fine whereas other folks weren't so lucky. Remember that the LR4 (dunno about the 3) is only submersible up to 27".

mshale

Reaction score
I’m not sure if it was like that when I bought it. I really didn’t notice it and I feel like I would have. However it is still possible.

Nothing else on the truck looks water damaged as though from a flood. Carpet was not new and had no identifiers. Engine bay was washed but no rusty cap bolts or suspension parts. Interior is in great shape but worn as should be on a doctor-owned 100,000 mile vehicle.

Anyone ever heard of rover land parts? I have found an arabica dash panel there. It’s a bit pricey - about $100 more than one I found on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't all of the OEM glass pieces LR Logo + Pilkington? If not, somebody has replaced every piece of glass on my LR at one point or another.

I should have been more clear. My understanding is that Pilkington makes the LR-branded windshields but it is also possible to get a Pilkington replacement that isn't LR-branded. My last LR4 had a replacement windshield (installed before I purchased it) that was Pilkington-branded only, no LR logo, for instance. This was one of my clues that it was a replacement. I found other clues later during a very deep cleaning when I found tempered glass fragments under the rear seats.

I understand there's also a Chinese replacement glass from Fuyao.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure if it was like that when I bought it. I really didn’t notice it and I feel like I would have. However it is still possible.

Nothing else on the truck looks water damaged as though from a flood. Carpet was not new and had no identifiers. Engine bay was washed but no rusty cap bolts or suspension parts. Interior is in great shape but worn as should be on a doctor-owned 100,000 mile vehicle.

Anyone ever heard of rover land parts? I have found an arabica dash panel there. It’s a bit pricey - about $100 more than one I found on eBay.

Roverland Parts is a reputable firm that has been around for a long time:
http://www.roverlandparts.com/dashboards.aspx

Land Rover Merriam is good for new OEM parts:
https://landrovermerriamparts.com/parts/2012/Land Rover/LR4/HSE/?siteid=215719&vehicleid=378928&diagram=7117355

Or you can try places like this:
https://www.tlsautorecycling.com/search/2012/landrover/lr4/251

Felixlatorre

Reaction score
Hi there. I hope this help you. Good luck.

ADD8BF78-C50B-44FB-ADC8-C5DB11597F15.png

1BC83B7F-0162-4D97-A266-5FE32BD616CA.png

D56F995B-ED6B-4F64-ACFA-099B73655AF6.png

5B8E13EF-D58C-4F6A-8BC3-05DDCEDDF78C.png

mshale

Reaction score
Well, I got it all out. Planning to order parts tonight. I hope I can get it all back in the right way when they get here!

Thanks catman for suggesting the new parts site. Turns out, the new one is cheaper than the used one.

Thanks Felix also for the service manual pages. From that, I was able to find all of the steps to remove what was needed. As you can see, removal of the steering wheel and the passenger dash reinforcement was not necessary.

88B73EB8-D996-4764-81C1-74EA5962C94C.jpeg 1A212BDB-551D-4B76-BCFF-E327AEA72ABF.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72