Advice on peeling dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mshale

Reaction score
I'm actually an Auburn Dad. My daughter attended there and had a great run. I also got involved on the board of the AU Parents' Association and made a lot of good friends in the administration.

Fun fact-- one of my close hometown friends back in WV is Nick Saban's stepsister. Makes for a lot of good smacktalk.
Really small world.

I was a photographer for the Crimson White newspaper. I’m sure I’ve met her. I did football games and other minor events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I inspected for obvious damage as to why the leather was peeling. ..

The parts guy at Merriam said he sees LR4 dash problems all the time.
Thanks for sharing the pics. That's an impressive amount of parts out of the car.

I may have missed it above, but what was causing the dash to bulge up and split like that?

mshale

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics. That's an impressive amount of parts out of the car.

I may have missed it above, but what was causing the dash to bulge up and split like that?

I didn’t find anything physically wrong with the dash plastics. The airbag was normal and the mesh and plastics that comprise the door to which the airbag pops through were all not broken.

I did note the edge that goes under the black plastic by the windshield was much more stiff than the rest of the dash. Looks like only the edge of the leather is glued down, the rest is just sitting on top of the plastic dash.

I’m going to assume a liquid had spilled and damaged the leather as the sun dried it out. I found no obvious water evidence under the dash though, so it wasn’t a lot like a flood.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the lux package as well and just noticed this is happening. I didn't notice this last wash
so it's recent. In the records from the dealership in Florida where I purchased mine it says the dash
was pulled at some point. Any idea what the response will be if I try to fix it under CPO?
Anyone had this happen? Seems surprising on a 5 year old car. It's happening in 3 places.

IMG_1711.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea what the response will be if I try to fix it under CPO?

I don't know what the response will be but I would not hesitate for a second to pursue coverage through CPO. If it was a dealership that pulled the dash then I would also question the quality of the repair. Seems like you have some good facts to work with or can at least make a good case for CPO coverage. My .02...

mshale

Reaction score
I've got the lux package as well and just noticed this is happening. I didn't notice this last wash
so it's recent. In the records from the dealership in Florida where I purchased mine it says the dash
was pulled at some point. Any idea what the response will be if I try to fix it under CPO?
Anyone had this happen? Seems surprising on a 5 year old car. It's happening in 3 places.

View attachment 8480

Based on the research I have done, the lux package does not change the dash material, the extended leather package does. Do you have a leather wrapped dash binnacle (the thing that is a good over your gauges) and the upper door area? You’ll see the stitches as a giveaway.

If you have the extended leather package, then you are like me. The parts guys I’ve talked to says they see this issue a lot on outside southern cars.
Take a deep dive into your CPO paperwork. See if it covered interior stuff.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes,my mistake, I think I assumed lux came with extended leather. But right, I have the extended leather. I’ll check tomorrow and see what happens.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score

View attachment 8480
Oh man... I hope this is not a normal wear problem. I feel like I just got over the LR3 and it's own cracking dash issues....

mshale

Reaction score
Oh man... I hope this is not a normal wear problem. I feel like I just got over the LR3 and it's own cracking dash issues....

If it is, I just wasted my effort and money on a replacement. I bet it’s southern heat kind of thing. Thinking of getting the windshield “tinted” with that ceramic stuff they have now, using a UV blocker product on the leather and throwing up a sun shade when I can’t park under cover.

Last edited:

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Lol shrinkage.

Since I’m kinda new to the LR community, does anyone know reputable used parts distributeurs?
That’s step one - getting a good example of this dash panel.
I don’t know of many used parts suppliers. However a company called Rimmer Brothers web address. wwe.rimmerbros.co.uk have a big suppler of all Discovery parts. This company also has a retail outlet in the USA. I’ve got a Discovery 3 and Rimmerbros have just supplied me a complete rear suspension upgrade, a complete dashboard and new replacement drain tubes for my Sunroof. My dash was damaged due to water ingress from the sunroofs front Drain Tubes both being split. You can get next day delivery if the parts are in stock too.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72