Air Compressor R&R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my first suspension fault. Gonna have a buddy scan the car tonight to see if I can narrow it down further, but I have noticed the compressor making more and more noise. We have extended coverage with a $250 deductible, so I am assuming that if it is the air compressor, I should just let the dealer do it, but if it's something more simple, I may do it myself. Just trying to see if anyone else has replaced their compressor and how hard is it? I'll post my DTC code when I get it too.

Thanks!

J.D.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J.D. -

For a 2-fiddy deduct, I'd just let the Dealer or Indy trouble shoot. Most components are going to exceed that amount. without codes, it sounds like the compressor MAY be going out. Just too many variables at this point.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried to pull the codes but the program could only do general drivetrain stuff, not suspension faults. So it looks like I'll make an appointment at the dealer.

Seems the light comes on about 5 minutes after we start the car.

I gotta say, up until now I was dead set on buying a used LR4 when the time came to replace the LR3, but it seems to be nickel and diming us 2-fiddy at a time and I beginning to be on the top of the fence.

J.D.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Hey J.D.-
How many miles on the 06?
I'm looking into buying an 05 or 06 LR3 and I'm trying to figure out the general mileage where things start to go south...that way I'll know what questions to ask when I'm interrogating the previous owner.
What else has gone wrong?

Thanks for the help!
-Ryan

ccrothers

Reaction score
Ryan,

I've had two Land Rovers, a '95 Discovery and a 2000 Range Rover HSE 4.6, which I still own. In both cases, serious issues arose between 75,000 and 100,000 miles, especially on the RR having to do with the air suspension. After replacing several wheel bladders and various components, I took the entire system out and installed coils and shocks. I'm not a serious off-road driver, so from my perspective as a dedicated RR owner, it's the best thing I've done to the vehicle. Problems arise in systems that are, in my opionion, too sophisticated for their own good -- the air suspension system and the alarm system. I've had trouble with both. Land Rover won awards for engineering, etc., but these systems, for everyone except the most dedicated off-roader, are too complicated. The other annoying issue has to do with the emissions faults. They are expensive to fix and if you're in a state with emissions inspections, you won't pass if the Check Engine Soon light is on. Owning a Land Rover is a bad habit, but I wouldn't give up my RR for anything. When the end days come, two things will survive, cockroaches and Land Rovers.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, I believe we have about 53k on it. Bought it at 30k.

I am trying to remember over that past 18 months. Nah, I'll dig out the file from most recent to older.

Suspension Fault (TBD)
Themostat replacement.
Steering linkage replacement
Suspension linkage replacement
Sun visors not latching
Transmission fault (turned out to be a leak at a sensor)

When it's running good, I LOVE it. But it just seems to have issues more often than any other vehicle I have ever owned. Of the four times I have been off-roading, it came back three times with a check engine light. It's also the nicest vehicle I have ever owned too. It's very comfortable to drive on the highway and around town, but also does great off-road even in some fairly extreme stuff. Can you tell I am on the fence? LOL

BTW 06's do not have lumbar in the seats just FYI.

If I were to get another one, there is NO DOUBT in my mind I'd get the extended warranty or if you're buying from a private seller, check into who is offering warranties for your situation. Repairs are very expensive on advanced vehicles and a $250 deductible is much more palatable than say $800 for a new compressor.

J.D.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was indeed the air compressor. $622 for parts and 209 for labor.

I think this has us near or broke even on what we paid for the warranty.

J.D.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey J.D.-
How many miles on the 06?
I'm looking into buying an 05 or 06 LR3 and I'm trying to figure out the general mileage where things start to go south...that way I'll know what questions to ask when I'm interrogating the previous owner.
What else has gone wrong?

Thanks for the help!
-Ryan

I bought my 2005 LR3 in Aug. 2008 with 50k on the clock. Had GMAC extended warranty which saved thousands. I have replaced the compressor, steering rack, bushings, and a ton of other stuff. The two invoices I have total over $6200, but I only paid $200. Out of warranty since 97k and its been perfect. I'll scan the copies of the invoices when I have a chance.

Eric

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the heads up Eric.

I'm definitely getting the impression that I should be looking for an extended warranty to be on the safe side.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the heads up Eric.

I'm definitely getting the impression that I should be looking for an extended warranty to be on the safe side.

Ryan - that's smart! As I mentioned above, I am undecided now as to what to get for our next vehicle in a couple years. I do know that I will not buy another LR of any kind without an extended warranty.

J.D.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99