Air release when opening doors normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mainlander

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just picked up a 2010 recently and loving it. Still getting used to all the complexities of the vehicle. So my question is, it seems everyone once after it's been sitting for a while, and I go and open a door, I hear a quick hiss (i.e. air release). Is this normal?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your suspension is adjusting itself.

Mainlander

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I just thought it was weird that it seemed to happen more when I opened the door.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I just thought it was weird that it seemed to happen more when I opened the door.
My LR3 always did that and my LR4 does as well. It periodically makes this adjustment, but seems to always do a check when you're getting ready to go.

Ben Myton

Reaction score
Quick follow-up on this, my 13 LR4 also occasionally adjusts on me which is disconcerting. After being stopped for a period of time (stop lights works, exiting car too) it will lower slightly. It's particularly odd sitting at a stoplight and then having the corner shift on you.

Is the adjustment the result of an out of calibration system, or does the controller not constantly check the height so it just periodically has to adjust for chainging air temperature/pressure?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger "hiss" he is referring to is the release of galley pressure associated with the compressor shutoff. This would happen every time you shut off the truck while the air compressor is also running. This release allows the compressor to restart more easily next time. The shorter "pist" leveling adjustments only happen after all the doors are closed.

DenverLR4

Reaction score
Air suspension adjusts to keep ride level. If you unload significant weight from truck, or detach a trailer, you'll see it re-level vehicle by bleeding air off.

Austin G

Reaction score
I notice the adjustment quite often in fast food drive-thrus. I thought my LR4 was making a judgment about my eating habits, but realized it's because many drive-thrus have uneven paving and weird angles with sharp turns.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM