Airbag SRS indicator light on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ddvelin

Reaction score
Hello,

A few days ago my Airbag SRS warning indicator light up, about 2 minutes after driving the car. It reset itself and went off on next start up, but came on a few trips later, again after driving for a few minutes.

Now the indicator is on constantly. Anybody experience this before? It is a computer malfunction or am I going to be out big bucks to "fix" whichever of the airbags are malfunctioning?

ddvelin

Reaction score
Update

I took the car in for an oil change at an independent shop. They ran the error through their computer and got a pretty generic answer. They were able to turn it off/reset the error, leading them to believe it was a weight on the seat issue for one of the non-driving seats. Should have been problem sovled.

Driving away from the shop, as soon as I got to 10-15 mph, the warning came back on. Called the shop owner (good friend of mine) and he suggested that I take it to the Dealership for a specific diagnostic. Hopefully it won't be too expensive. I guess my airbags won't deploy at the moment if there is a crash, so I won't be driving much until Wednesday morning..

Trynian

Reaction score
Probably the clockspring (rotary coupler) in the sterring wheel. They do go bad causing the airbag light to go on. Other symptoms sometimes appear such as cruise control/radio buttons acting funny as well.

Part is about $300 through online sources. I think I heard the dealer charges around $600 to change it.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a "Rotary Coupler Wiring Fracture" recall in North America for certain MY05-06 LR3 and Range Rover Sport vehicles. Symptoms are as you described them, as a wire that connects the rotary coupler to the steering wheel airbag may fracture with friction, causing the warning light to turn on. Airbag deployment may be compromised in a severe accident. Recall number is P045. Call any authorized dealer and ask them to check if your VIN is subject to this recall campaign. If it is, the repair will be performed at no charge at any LR dealership, regardless of mileage.

ddvelin

Reaction score
Thanks for the timely information, I was actually on my way to pick up my LR3 when your response came through!

We did vett the VIN against all recalls and it was in the clear. They traced the issue to an open circut in the Rotoray Cassette. The dealer sourced the part for $475.39 (I wasn't allowed to shop around and bring the part in myself, and 1.8 hours of work. I fought for a 10% discount on this fact and ended up $708 out of pocket.

*sigh* my first real LR cost....and only 4 months in!

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did vett the VIN against all recalls and it was in the clear. They traced the issue to an open circut in the Rotoray Cassette.

*sigh* my first real LR cost....and only 4 months in!

Rotary Cassette -- sounds like they found something else to call the clock spring... mine is bad, cruise control not working, just hate to waste the money as it was recall fixed once but broken again.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that light in my 05 Durango and it would turn it's self off. I'd get it once a year or so, but it'd always turn off after a few minutes.

Thos

Reaction score
Ive got the same issue on my MY '07 TDV8. The dealer first thought it was the seatbelt pre-tensioner, but they now say its possibly the whole control unit that has be changed. I thought that was a bit excessive (and REALLY expensive!). Thanks for the tips on the steering/rotary cassette. I will follow these up...

Trynian

Reaction score
TDV8 in 07? I did not recall that in 07. That must a be a nice engine.

Thos

Reaction score
Yeah, the engine rocks. Its a Jaguar unit that has been remapped for the needs of a SUV.
Its fuel economy is very good on long journeys out of town (7,5ltr/100km) - thats 31 mpg US. Way better performance than the TD6, and pretty close to the V8 petrol :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak