Alarm going off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Item 9 on the 17 page pdf.

The switch is a part of the hood latch that is on the right hand side, (passenger on LR3), as shown in the pdf on the link below. You may have to take the right hand side head light assembly out to make it easier to get at - but that is only two slide clips.

http://bit.ly/19M1Xbl

Last edited:

Trynian

Reaction score
2008 LR3 42K miles.

Getting pretty frustrated with my alarm going off in my garage, football games etc...
(the owner of a black land rover, you're alarm is going off)

Until you can figure out what the problem is you can double lock the car with the key fob and the alarm will be disabled.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this exact problem. It was after a month long camping trip in the backwoods of the UP of MI. 20 miles away from any paved road. . . Dirt roads dry and dusty like crazy. Turns out that the amount of dust kicked up by the roads messed up with the contacts in the hood latch. Got the warning of hood open. Washed out the latch area and got all the dust/dirt out of it. Dry lubed it. Not just the latch where you open the hood, but more importantly the actual two side latching areas.

Not a single problem after that. It fixed it.

Vizmobile

Reaction score
Hood Latch

Thanks for the replies on the hood latch. Try as I might I could not remove the right headlight. I removed the dust/dirt/grime from the latches I could get too, and thought - for a few minutes - the bonnet open warning was fixed. But when I got into the car a few hours later - it was back on. What a bummer. :hmpf: At least I know how to disable the alarm now (thanks Trynian). I am going in for my 60K check up in a few weeks so I will ask dealer to fix the bonnet switch. I will try to remove the headlamp again with a friend though. Thanks all, Karen

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hood Latch Part number

The part number for the hood open sensor was LR002794 but there appears to be a new number, YUE500150.

The link below is a thread related to the same problem you have and I have a couple of posts in there with other links within.

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=20552

Yes, the head light assembly can be difficult to remove, particularly for the first time as the slide latches have probably not been moved since Land Rover built your 3.

I assume that you found the two vertical slide latches but that they would not move upwards. When they slide, it is only about a quarter inch upwards. I have used something like a narrow putty knife to lever up on or say a big spoon in order to get some purchase. If you do get the headlight assembly out, make certain you do not drop it. It sort of pops out and can surprise you. The assembly will be on a big electrical cable so it should not hit the ground but. You then have to disconnect the cable connector. I try to set the headlight where I will not trip over it or drive over it.

Also you have to first remove the grill to get at the slide latches but I assume you have done that. Removing the grill is easier than removing the head lights but you pretty much have to have someone show you how for the first time - after that it is easy. In the back half, the owners manual may have some pictures and instructions re removal of the grill and also the headlights under the bulbs section.

When you do access the switch, you can try spraying it until is is soaking wet with something like WD40. You cannot wreck it and even if you get it working again, you should still replace it as it will just give trouble later on. I guess the good news is your dealer already has lots of experience with replacing that switch.

Vizmobile

Reaction score
Thanks bbyer. The part the dealer gave me was LR024358. The parts guy knew exactly what I was talking about (alarm going off - yadayada) but said he'd not replaced one of these himself. Taking the grill off was no problem, and I was able to get both vertical slide (headlight) latches up, and tugged (forward) on it with no success. It sounds like I am on the right track though.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes slide clips rise up a bit much.

The slide clips sometimes lift up a bit too much as you have to knock them back down a sixteenth or so.

Usually I get one side free and the other side hangs up and I have to fuss around. You do not have to be violent - actually gentle works better. Once you get the assembly off, you can look at how the slide works and then for next time, it will be easier.

Just do not let it surprise you when it pops loose. The assembly is quite a big thing all of a sudden - not heavy but awkward if you do not have a good hold of it.

I like to have a blanket or coat around to set the assembly on - as in right under it.

Also check to see if any of the small bulbs are burned out or going black as this is the time to replace them. The yellow "clearance" bulb is a W3W, not a W5W, as are most of the other bulbs such as licence plate light. Both the 3 and 5 bulbs look identical but the 3 means three watts and the 5 is five watts. The 5 watt bulbs make more heat and melt the hole that the 3 watt is suppose to sit in. Guess how I know?

teamfalcon

Reaction score
2008 LR3

I also had the 'bonnet open' msg and the alarm would go off whenever I locked the Rover. Thanks to the members here, it took me 5 min to unplug bonnet switch and add a piece of foil and the 'bonnet open' msg was gone.

Standing next to the fender, taking picture toward the front. The switch is underneath the left side,passenger side, hood latch (standing in front of Rover). Unplug the latch where the thin wire are and the flashlight is hitting.
foil2.jpg

Then add a piece of foil and you're done. It worked for me. No more 'bonnet open' msg.
foil.jpg

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assume foil sits on top of the spring?

I appreciate your efforts re the pictures and the solution.

I assume that the piece of foil sits on top of the brass spring metal to create a bit more height? It would seem that the brass spring looses its spring and hence will not push down enough on the micro switch contact below.

If so, probably the spring will in time get more tired and hence after a while relax so a second layer of foil will be needed.

I only hope that where owners are installing replacement switches that the newer models have a spring with a bit more life in them - like say 15 years.

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've been having all of these symptoms recently, ie alarm going off and hood open message. unplugging the sensor, sticking a small piece of foil on the sensor, and plugging it back in worked like a charm. thanks for the pics teamfalcon!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM