Almost 2 years now...Still in love with my LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 weeks in 2011 LR4 and loving it

About a year and a half ago I visited Bergamo Italy and the B&B owner picked us up from the airport in his Discovery4. I was so impressed by the comfort and utility, that I started looking for one. We don't have a LR dealer in Montana and no LR4s (a few LR3 and Discovery are around), so I depended heavily on this forum (trolling, but very grateful for the many good discussions on options, etc).

With son#2 due to be born June 1, we wanted space for 3 adults plus 2 car seats. Scanning forum posts, it seems quite a few LR4 purchases are motivated by a 2nd or 3rd car seat joining the family!

Being in Montana, locking rear differential was deemed essential (HD pkg). I really wanted green or blue, which proved to be a tough search!

Finally I found a 2011 Galway Green HSE Lux with HD package (locking rear differential), cold weather pkg (heated windshield, seats, steering wheel, etc), vision package, and DVD package. With 45K miles, price was right. It was in Virginia, so I had to buy it sight unseen and put it on a truck. That was a little stressful, but the dealer was good to work with and they found a trucker that did a great job delivering. My son just turned 3 and he loves trucks, so I took him to watch our LR4 get unloaded from the auto carrier. He loved that, but complained loudly "I don't want the green one" (LR4) "I want the blue one!" (a convertible BMW...). Eventually he agreed that "the green one" was also OK :rolleyes:

Three days later, my brother called at ~11PM for help, he was stuck in a snowdrift in his driveway. He is driving my old 2002 Toyota Tacoma with locking diff and **** Cepek snow tires. I was one of the founding members of the Arizona Land Cruiser Association, so have a fair amount of off-road and recovery experience with Land Cruisers and Toyota trucks, but this was my first experience with LR. The LR4 has new Bridgestone Dueler (street tires); I was absolutely amazed by how much better the LR4 handled than the Tacoma even with locking rear diff and serious tires!

The next weekend my mom's drive was hopelessly buried so I ended up pulling out the 1 ton Chevy dually snowplow when he got stuck, then breaking a path for him through a field so he could plow the drive from the top down (from the bottom up was hopeless). Again, we were amazed by how the LR4 handles. It is pretty cool to see what happens when the center differential and rear differential lock, so all 4 wheels are pulling equally.

I've always wanted a vehicle with auto high beams, but this is the first I have actually driven with this feature. High beam assist works perfect and I love it on rural highways (I'm chronically bad about forgetting high beams - so love having this automatic). Of course HID headlights are really nice on rural highways where markings are poor and suicidal deer are common.

Friends laugh at me for having a heated steering wheel, but it sure feels good on a cold day!

Heated windshield is so nice - no more scraping or peephole driving (not that I've ever done that...):rolleyes:

Surround cameras are a nice bonus; maybe sort of a toy, but cool and occasionally really useful. Certainly the rear camera is very useful.

My wife has been driving Audi for the last 7 yrs, and was immediately impressed by how quite the LR4 is, and how comfortable! She is also impressed by how nimble the LR4 feels compared to the Q7 she test-drove. I was out of town last week and she drove the LR4 every day (I'm worried about what I'll be driving when Monday comes...).

Yesterday I installed the trailer wire kit (with lots of "help" from my 3 yr old son...) It was my first experience into the guts of the LR4. I was impressed by how well it is assembled, and impressed by the extensive use of sound damping material and the vibration damping weights.

Again, many thanks for the good discussions on this forum. Now that I'm an owner (rather than just a troller) I'll try to jump in and contribute what I can.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great read indeed!

Everyone loves a little helper and this early exposure will plant the seed for his passion with Land Rovers.... ha ha

Imagine what Land Rover will be like when its time for him to own one of his own (and a convertible too)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey BznLR4,

I absolutely LOVE Montana - one of my favorite states. I did a bit of work on a Hutterite colony there. This was an awesome read - thanks for sharing.

-David

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this was an awesome read. Land Rovers are such a special breed of vehicles.

Land Rover Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear All,

Many thanks for this super post—very enjoyable to read and very nice. I have been busy so I haven’t been heard from in some time; however, I do read what folks are talking about.

UGAGirl,

Sincerest thanks for your positive comments and congratulations on your new baby. We all hope things are well for you and your family…and it took me a while to respond to your post here (I immediately told my wife). I wanted to state for the record that you are not the only LR4 girl out there. While I am online posting (or under the truck working), my wife is normally the one driving--and she really has a good time driving the LR4. I had posted some pictures after new year of my wife and I driving around in Africa with some of the better shots from last year. I am posting a picture here with her in it to prove that she’s normally the one having the fun!

That said, we are happy Land Rover customers (more specifically of the vehicle and its capabilities) and have driven this truck in some very tough conditions and are very impressed with both the capabilities as well as the styling and class (my work vehicles have been Toyota diesels for years). I am glad to hear you have had a great experience and my wife sends her compliments to you and the other Land Rover ladies!

BznLR4,

Great post, thanks for the info, and funny you “found” an LR4 in Italy. Not very many around in Italy (they are very $$$ for our Italian friends) but as you can see we all agree with your choice. Congratulations and great feedback about the snow. I haven’t driven in snow with the LR4 at all (yet), but have done a lot of sand piste and rock crawling and the vehicle has performed superbly. It does not surprise me your truck left the competition behind—I have recovered a couple folks in the sand myself. We hope to hear more of your adventures and best wishes to all!

Cheers,
Land Rover Joe

Attachments

• DSC_1023 (NXPowerLite).jpg
    DSC_1023 (NXPowerLite).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 26

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on all fronts... Babies and the truck :) I had a pleasant surprise when I had mine in for its yearly service. I did NOT have to have any brake work done. I'm at 22k miles and I thought for sure my service advisor was going to call an tell me the bad news but he said they were still in good shape. Although I did have not one but two screws in two separate tires. Ugh!

Bottom line is I couldn't agree more with UGAgirl that this truck is awesome and I will definitely getting another one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72