AMK Compressor rebuild/replace

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

landylandy

Reaction score
I am wanting to rebuild my compressor as well just for maintenance but it appears that AMK are not rebuildable, all I can find are rebuild kits for the Hitachi compressors.
Changing out the dryer is always a good idea (especially in cold and wet weather areas) but Murphy's law is, once you did that, the piston seal will leak, so one is probably better off replacing the whole compressor after 100k miles!
I did clean out the air intake on a service mission once so far!
Does anybody know if the eBay/Amazon 200$ replacement AMK style compressors are lesser quality that original parts of from Atlantic British rover parts (800$) or are they the same just sold directly from the Chinese manufacturer online?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are lesser quality, but a lot of people use them. I personally would not for something as integral to the car as the suspension, but if you are willing to gamble you can give it a shot.

You can get the OEM one for cheaper than Atlantic British sells them. I think Lucky8 has them cheaper. Or you can check UK suppliers like LR Direct.

landylandy

Reaction score
oh! really, good to know! I will certainly check into that! thanks!
no I don't wanna gamble on suspension parts either, whats the point if it fails, you do all of it again and spend more!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, Lucky8 used to be cheap. Maybe some supply chain craziness driving the prices up.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kit from lucky8 is for the full kit to convert from the Hitachi to the AMK, and includes the bracket, the foam cover, the hoses, and the relay to get it all fitted. If you already have an AMK compressor, you might be able to call them up and get a quote for just that part, without the rest of the stuff you already have.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I just replaced the AMK in our 2016 a few weeks ago.

Vendor was AutoHaus AZ.
The pump was something like $500 or so, very inexpensive and was a legitimate AMK.
BUT, the relay sent they sent was NOT compatible with the vehicle, it physically did not fit, and after ALOT of dinking around, I would NOT recommend replacing the shrouds with new ones. And be VERY detail oriented in EXACTLY how those shrouds fit in the space and up against the frame to get a reasonably tight weather "kinda resistant" fit. And don't even bother with the "parts" kit they send - it's incomplete - just be careful with what you have and keep everything clean.

Also, my 2016 was running Hitachi software but with an AMK pump - go figure....

You really should have an IIDTool to be able to confirm all the software, and to do the de-pressurize/re-pressurize and the height re-calibration. (But you can also cave man it and just go for it...)

And I recommend you get an 8mm, or was it 10mm? (I need to double check), "ratchet box wrench" if you don't already have one. it's possible with a normal box wrench but much easier with a "ratchet box".

I recorded it, and I will be posting the video, hopefully in the next week or so...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA