Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us looking for an LR4 replacement, nothing is currently as affordable as the Defender. The Jeep can’t tow(and IMO is built much more cheaply). The G-wagon is much more expensive. I think LR has a winner.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those of us looking for an LR4 replacement, nothing is currently as affordable as the Defender. The Jeep can’t tow(and IMO is built much more cheaply). The G-wagon is much more expensive. I think LR has a winner.

If the LR4 was a Niche market, over 3500 towing capacity for potential Defender buyers has to be a niche of niche. Given Jeep is on the 200k mark year over year for the wrangler, I'd say the use case is outlier. How many Defenders do you think JLR will sell in a year?

The G wagon is silly. Come on man, who's buying those and going off road. We can disagree on the cheap look. I will concede that the Jeep and Defender will likely be neck and neck in quality (fighting for the bottom of the barrel), the jeep actually looks solid IMHO.

That said, of your use case, I'll concede that you have few options. I'd definitely consider a Land Cruiser as a much better option. Even if you had to grab a late model used one to fit your budget. Or you could wait 9 more hours and see what Ford has to offer...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you see the Bronco release today. Defender is DOA
Good price. Great off-roader. Great little v6 in there. Less second row leg room and overall interior space than the lr4. More like a wrangler. Less cargo volume. No third row. Will tow 5-6k lbs in my estimate.
Not exactly an lr4 replacement. More like a better made wrangler. Which definitely doesn’t bode well for the defender sales.
I like the bronco. But not sure it could replace my lr4.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good price. Great off-roader. Great little v6 in there. Less second row leg room and overall interior space than the lr4. More like a wrangler. Less cargo volume. No third row. Will tow 5-6k lbs in my estimate.
Not exactly an lr4 replacement. More like a better made wrangler. Which definitely doesn’t bode well for the defender sales.
I like the bronco. But not sure it could replace my lr4.

Agree that it won't be a replacement. But, if you bifurcate the two things that are awesome about the LR4 (offroad and luxury) there isn't much to replace it with. Sadly, the D5 is the closest. So, those that primarily go for Luxury would likely go the RR route and those that are more offroad look to have a much better option in the Bronco 4dr.

Both the 4 door and 2 door check a lot of boxes. Agree, Wrangler should be concerned. Certainly, some of their 200k a year sales are going away if only for the fact that there's a choice, it's new and it looks the part.

Notice the hard sizzle Ford used in their release. They did an awesome job. I can't imagine anyone looking at the Defender not taking a long look at the Bronco at this point.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bronco is SUPER wide too. 86.6. That’s a raptor. If they had put the 3.5 ecoboost in there it would basically be a raptor SUV. Which might be coming...

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But also the first edition is like 59k$. And the first edition defender was like $84k. That’s a big jump for basically the same function.
Plus fords quality on truck stuff is really good these days. And the parts will be cheap to replace.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they make a removable hard top defender I’d give them a break about the use of non luxury materials. Until then I’ll keep my thoughts the same on sticking to the LR4.

if they made a removable hard top defender it would also very well compete on the same level as the bronco and the wrangler but with better technology and a Land Rover badge.

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tfl lists bronco tow rating at 3500lbs. The defender spanks that aspect.