Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWillyEffect

Reaction score
I believe this sums it up quite well. While I don't think the D5 is bad in any way (although some may say in terms of styling it does not fit the part) but it does not give the same "feel" the LR4 has and the Defender may be the saving grace or at least we can only hope at this point.

The D5 isn't a bad looking SUV but it doesn't stand out like the LR4 does. Some people may like having a luxury car that doesn't draw attention but I'd take the one that stands out 100% of the time.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is LA... Everyone wants the latest and greatest car, right now and before anyone else. It may be a different story elsewhere.

I get it, I live in LA. But I'd never ever pay such amounts over MSRP, purely based on principle, even if I was a millionaire and could easily afford to overpay.

I may however do so for an incredibly well-designed, non-volume product with a short production run knowing that its costing the maker a good chunk to produce it and that the maker could not sustain steady profit stream selling these due to the short number of units, and then only it would make sense for me to hand over any large bills to the dealer for the markup, primarily due to the fear of missing out on owning one. But, again, the product itself would have to be absolutely well-designed/engineered to justify that extra cash.

With LR, I could imagine doing so only if they ever produced a real special edition, slightly refreshed/de-blinged LR4 with an SCV8 or a TDV8, but certainly not for a general volume production SUV.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Land Rover of Encino (another large local dealer, part of a network that owns a bunch of JLR dealerships in California) confidently adds $30,000 to the sticker of all new Defenders right now...

Have had really bad pre-sale and service experience with these guys, had to mention to an LR exec at the LA auto show. Went to these guys back in '11 or '12 to purchase an LR4 after owning an '06 LR3 for six years (braving it for two years out of warranty), it was like if these guys were not interested at all in selling or making any money :) Was forced to and ended up picking my '13 V8 from another dealership.

Just overall very cheesy and shady attitude, both sales and service (as recent as 2016). Hopefully things have changed by now.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Lux and 2016 Landmark/Lux w/ HD seem to be the most sought after currently.

Curious what my '16 landmark w/HD (and cooler box, adaptive lighting, etc) with 14k is worth currently. Whats a good side to run the numbers, Kelly' blue book? Thx.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With LR, I could imagine doing so only if they ever produced a real special edition, slightly refreshed/de-blinged LR4 with an SCV8 or a TDV8, but certainly not for a general volume production SUV.

I wonder how many of us would have bought that D5 SVX if it wasn't cancelled. I'm sure many of us, myself included would have bought an LR4 SVX if ever offered. SCV8 with the 8-speed transmission would have been the prefect LR4 end-of-the run special edition. We can only dream. :)

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what my '16 landmark w/HD (and cooler box, adaptive lighting, etc) with 14k is worth currently. Whats a good side to run the numbers, Kelly' blue book? Thx.

Wholesale on it is $40k-42k depending on options. I can't imagine a dealer not offering it with CPO for $52k so private party would probably yield a $44-46k number if the colorway and condition are right.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re the LA-area price gouging reports from Umberto... I was out running errands on Sunday and dropped by one of our many JLR dealers in the national capital area. It happened to be the one where I've had the best experience. The sales staff have been there for an average of 20 years each so it's a stable organization with people who understand and enjoy their brands. I asked one of the salesman if they planned to add an upcharge once they started taking orders and selling Defenders. He didn't even hesitate when he said no. He had an expression on his face as if that was never done at this location. I didn't press it but I feel like I got a candid response to the question.

I mean, I know we love our Land Rovers but it's not like the new Defender is a Mazda Miata, ferpetesake! (who is old enough to remember the feeding frenzy and gouging going on when that model was launched?)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean, I know we love our Land Rovers but it's not like the new Defender is a Mazda Miata, ferpetesake! (who is old enough to remember the feeding frenzy and gouging going on when that model was launched?)

My local dealer here outside Boston told me the same thing...Defender price is firm at the sticker price. No discount & no markup.

And I'm old enough to remember when the Honda Prelude was sold over sticker and there were 6 month waiting lists for them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA