Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It isn't up to the sales person; if management or the principal decide that is what will be.

Sure, but I got the impression he was speaking from experience as to what this dealership had done (or not done) historically. Merely sharing it as an anecdote. It remains to be seen what the market forces will do once actual ordering is opened up...

gamh2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well.... I'll stick to my '12 LR4 and '11 RRS much longer than expected. So far they have been excellent vehicles for me. And I don't use the dealer garage unless and absolutely need to.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun time to resurrect this thread. To the folks waiting on the Bronco I would keep waiting. Ford has totally mucked the rollout of the new Explorer with all sorts of basic electronic issues. I would expect the same on the Bronco.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 had tons of issues as well, so I can't imagine that even with all the effort behind the Defender that it will not have its share of issues too, especially with a "new" system (Pivi Pro).

It's obviously not as easy as it would seem or we would not have regular patches from Microsoft, Apple, etc for systems that are very mature. At least with SOTA updates the upgrades can come at a quicker pace without having to go to a dealer.

Is this the 130? I can't tell for sure but it looks larger to me in the image from this article on it.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/luxury-defender-130-model-crown-line

new_land_rover_defender_130.jpg

Or a photoshop of this one:

2020-land-rover-defender-carbuzz-627536-840x560.jpg

Last edited:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is amazing that can happen in this day and age.

Yeah, no. What's amazing is when someone has a high volume launch without a misstep. To understand why requires and understanding of the process.

Retooling to an all new model requires plan shut down and new tooling. New lines, new processes, new parts, etc. that takes time. The coordination with everything from supply and logistics for a job 1 date is planned sometimes several years in advance.

So, when they are testing this new vehicle/platform/etc. sometimes $h!t isn't quite right. You can't just change all your plans for job 1 and delay them. So, you move forward and pray to god you have them fixed before the new line is operational.

FCA is a great example when they launched their 8 sp tranny in the Grand Cherokee. They hoped they could get the glitches out before production started. Alas, they could not and as a result had to park every damn one they produced in a field in southern Michigan IIRC until they did, Very painful.

Sometimes OEMs can mitigate by doing what Ford has done with the F Series in the past which is to utilize multiple plants and produce new and old versions simultaneously. That means theres not a 100% volume shut down risk and dealer's can stuff orders for current MY vehicles before ordering is shut down.

Bottom line is that vehicles are getting more and more complicated and some of the shakedown is and will continue to happen after customer's take possession, which is why I never buy a first year beta vehicle.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually in the modern age a new product launch requires much less than you think. The lines these days are designed to run several models concurrently. Like platforms and standardized parts share the line. At VW here in Chattanooga they run the Passat, Atlas, and the new Cross Sport on the same line with multiple parts shared across models. There is a picture somewhere on line that shows the plant in Nitra with a new Defender next to a D5 on the same line. Their systems know exactly which serial number is at each pitch and the parts bins have laser readers with green and red lights so if one vehicle is supposed to have a heated steering wheel and the guy tries to grab a non heated wheel the light on the parts bin flashes red. Design and modeling is done with CAD so the process again is way less difficult and in many cases doesn't require a plant shut down or at least not a complete shut down.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why last weekend I traded my Touareg for a Sequoia TRD. Still will use the LR3 as the daily driver but just had bad feelings about the new Defender. I did buy a T shirt from Industry & Supply Co. but just really wanted to get out of the Touareg that I never loved and the Sequoia is now capable offroad with the Duratrack's I just had put on.

https://industryandsupply.com/land-rover-shirts/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA