Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah. Fancy soccer moms and dads will never go for a Ford. I read there are 7000 pre-orders for the Defender worldwide.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are deliveries already taking place yet? Or just driver events with prototypes ?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have we done this latest Bronco pic?

4 doors. Real tires. Solid axle rear end. If Ford has options for a front/rear locker, the Defender is in trouble. At least if I ever go SUV shopping again.

View attachment 10583

Sure, but will it have a monstrous (and heinous) blind spot panel installed for no obvious reason? Didn't think so, HA!

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only think what the dealership/service experience might be at Ford... oh no, I don’t even want to think about it.
Saw the Rivian R1T and R1S last weekend. They look great in real life. Glad I put money down on them more than a year ago. Especially after seeing the Defender in person.
Let’s see what the future brings

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only think what the dealership/service experience might be at Ford... oh no, I don’t even want to think about it.
Saw the Rivian R1T and R1S last weekend. They look great in real life. Glad I put money down on them more than a year ago. Especially after seeing the Defender in person.
Let’s see what the future brings

I can't say mine was any better at LR back when mine was under warranty.

With Ford you would have a hella lot more options for parts, and a hella lot more options to find a good dealership and independent mechanics. I drove F250's for many years before trying out my current Nissan truck and I had scouted out a small town dealer that was about a 25 minute drive for me that was always excellent at covering out of warranty items.

I agree with the previous post that most suburbanite would-be LR buyers probably wouldn't be shopping Ford, but for a capable off roading rig, this looks to have some serious potential.

Did I mention it has an honest to goodness frame just like my beloved LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah. Fancy soccer moms and dads will never go for a Ford. I read there are 7000 pre-orders for the Defender worldwide.

7,000 is a lot for Land Rover, but it's not much for Jeep or Ford.

I'm curious what happens to sales after a few years. The Wrangler stays red hot because it has a red hot aftermarket and the modification possibilities are near endless.

I have a feeling the Defender is near its ceiling from the factory, so I'm not sure how much hype will be sustained in the same way.

But what I really think will circle the drain is D5 sales. Who is that vehicle for now? And why wouldn't they buy either a Defender or a RRS?

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm curious what happens to sales after a few years. The Wrangler stays red hot because it has a red hot aftermarket and the modification possibilities are near endless.

I have a feeling the Defender is near its ceiling from the factory, so I'm not sure how much hype will be sustained in the same way.

But what I really think will circle the drain is D5 sales. Who is that vehicle for now? And why wouldn't they buy either a Defender or a RRS?

Excellent point. Unlike the classic version I don't see anything iconic about this Defender iteration.

Sales figures 2 or 3 years into production will probably be very telling.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

D5 appears to have nicer interior than the Defender, and more cargo area than the RRS. So, soccer moms!

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, but will it have a monstrous (and heinous) blind spot panel installed for no obvious reason? Didn't think so, HA!

Took my LR4 to deaker’s yesterday to catch some electrical gremlins and was talking with one of the sales guys. Apparently (according to him) that “blind spot panel” can be replaced by optional glass.
Didn’t know that.
He also allowed that discovery sales have been so poor that there’s talk of discontinuing it.
Saw the hybrid. Looks nice even tho you only get about 25 mikes on a charge.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my LR4 to deaker’s yesterday to catch some electrical gremlins and was talking with one of the sales guys. Apparently (according to him) that “blind spot panel” can be replaced by optional glass.
Didn’t know that.
He also allowed that discovery sales have been so poor that there’s talk of discontinuing it.
Saw the hybrid. Looks nice even tho you only get about 25 mikes on a charge.

I've heard that it doesn't have to be painted as well, but I don't think the structural pillar behind it gets any smaller. In the two door, from pictures I've seen, it looks like the rear passengers can barely see outside. I can't think of any reason at all it has to be as wide as it is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA