Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the negativity, especially coming from LR4 owners. Farmers, grizzlied Series 1 owners or Jeepsters with coilers and 37" tires running up and down the Rubicon for a living, OK. But you own a LR4, not exactly a bastion of Land Rover classic lines and post-war heritage. The new Defender has got less cargo room than the LR4, I'll grant you that. Not acres less, but definitely less. If you are 6' and up you won't be able to sleep in it. If you want to carry 7 adults in comfort, it won't work. Those are issues the 130 should address eventually.

Other than that, why the hate? The look of the front end is such a deal breaker for you? Kinda ghei, no? Compared to the LR4 the new D110 is about 800 lbs lighter, it handles better on pavement and off, has got more passengers room, more power, goes faster, better off-road metrics in every direction, a more practical and easier to clean, but still elegant interior, better roof carrying capacity, you can fit 33" tires on it without breaking a sweat, the spare wheel is where it should be, it uses less gas and yet has a bigger fuel tank, much improved EAS, improved Terrain Response, can tow a house, infotainment and electronics in general are on a different planet and finally comparable to the competition, same great seats but now you can get them cooled AND heated, you can even option a front jumpseat if you are into those, tons of accessories from Land Rover and the aftermarket will undoubtedly support it better as well, at least judging by how fast they figured out how to fit 18" wheels and rock sliders on a P400 - literally weeks from introduction. It even looks like a LR4, and I would expect OG Defender owners to complain about that one, but not LR4 owners. And since one of the chief complaints here is that's it's ridiculously overpriced, how much was your LR4? Mine, loaded with options which is the only way I'd buy a Land Rover, was $73K and change. In 2013. My RRS in 2005 was 70K, and it wasn't even the supercharged model. My new Defender is $80K and change, in 2020. I fail to see the problem there, Land Rovers have always been expensive. If you can't afford it, that's a whole different story.

Hang in there for a year and get the Bronco with its anemic engine choices, its 35" tires that I imagine will be an absoulte dream to drive long distance, less cargo room than even a new Defender, and a price that will probably be around $60K+ to make it comparable - in features and capabilities - to a new Defender. But who knows, it's been crowned SUV of the century and nobody has driven one yet. That's a mystery to me. It does look cool and macho enough - until every car rental company starts renting thousands of base spec models to tourists around town anyway, then you might feel less special - and the doors and roof do come off: who hasn't dreamed of ripping the doors off our LR4 at one point or another? Best of all, it's a Ford. Or wait even longer for a Grenadier, that's another sure bet for us here in North America.

That's all great. Too bad it looks like a chinese knockoff of a first gen rd1. If we are all being real, it looks a bit toy like. sorry, the odd fender flares, narrowed canopy, cheap interior and the "trying way to hard to be hip" lights. I really don't know what the heck this is trying to be. It's like they used the salvador dali automotive design house. As for ride, so does a 2006 taurus, but I wouldn't want to drive one.

Suggesting this looks like an LR4 is like suggesting the the most recent version VW bug looks like an 911. Is there medicine for wishful thinking? I don't care how many times you click your ruby slippers, there's no place you can end up that has the Defendre looking like an LR4.

Not sure if you've seen the interior pics on LR.com with the humans sitting in this. LMAOROTF. It's a good laugh. I've sat in one. Suggesting there is more passenger room is just fuzzy math. One poster suggested the third row seat was useable because the second row is adjustable. Hmm, doesn't that make the second row not useable. The LR4 can comfortably sit 6 fat people and 7 HWP people. Easily.

At any rate, you say potatoes... If it looked good, I probably wouldn't bash it and it's be our replacement, but let's face it, it's not the look any of us would have picked, that would be the Grenadier.

I understand you don't understand the negativity. I've tried to explain it to you, so let's try it again. Many of of LR4 owners were hoping for a viable replacement for our LR4s. What JLR coughed up is something that many of us would be embarrassed to say we spend $80k+ on. It's that simple. And, now we are p!$$#d off that we have to figure out what we are going to drive next when the decision should have been very easy.

thank god I paid $4k to extend our warranty until 2023.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to explain it to you again...if you don't like the new Defender, then don't buy it. And I still don't understand all the complaining about something you didn't even buy.

Looking forward to 2023 when you take all your complaining to another brand's forum.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, I found something else to distract you from the Defender and redirect your complaining:

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the problem some have with Land Rover has been building for many years. The latest products have moved away from the customer base. Reflect on Evoque (fashion statement), Discovery 5 (less than successful) and now Defender (looks like a Honda Element). Underneath there is good engineering but the styling has moved to fashion statements which is rejected by the community. I get that. So do many others.

In the end I think JLR will come to its senses as debt piles up, a new CEO is named and Tata offloads them to a 'partnership', all of which are near term. It's not like this hasn't played out in the auto industry before.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll try to explain it to you again...if you don't like the new Defender, then don't buy it. And I still don't understand all the complaining about something you didn't even buy.

Looking forward to 2023 when you take all your complaining to another brand's forum.
Nailed it. Take your crying elsewhere. You are just polluting an otherwise good thread (and forum) with personal attacks on other members and their choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

why don't you take your Defendre crap to another forum if you don't want people here to comment on it. I have an LR4 and this is an LR4 forum, and I'll probably just keep it as a 3rd vehicle so don't hold your breath waiting for 2023.

So, as long as you keep talking about a defendre on the LR4 forum, I'll keep talking about it too. That's how it works. People make comments, then other people respond. Just b/c you don't like how I/they respond, doesn't mean we
should stop responding. It's as if some of you have forgot how the internet works.

And, thanks so much for your permission not to buy one. You really saved me as I was just heading to the dealership to pay full retail plus ADM for one of these.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David, I found something else to distract you from the Defender and redirect your complaining:

I miss Tom Brady in that uniform. Thanks for the video. Does Seattle still have a team? Is the NFL even a thing anymore?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to think I support both sides of the coin. Umberto is getting one, and I support that. I respect his opinion as much as any around here. I look forward to hearing from him when he gets it, and it is a capable vehicle and that’s great. He makes some really strong points about it. My beef with LR goes back a long ways, I would have liked to see a more affordable, rough and tumble truck. I would have liked to see it with a solid rear axle, real bumpers and a top that came off.
The sticker price on all seven of my rovers over twenty two years differed by just nine grand. So yeah, I’ll admit that I’m too cheap to embrace a price hike like this.

David is attacking the vehicle, albeit quite harshly. But you and Paul are directly attacking him. My guess is that Umberto doesn’t give a rat’s ass whether David likes it or not. Let’s just try and take this down a notch or two, shall we?

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like to think I support both sides of the coin. Umberto is getting one, and I support that. I respect his opinion as much as any around here. I look forward to hearing from him when he gets it, and it is a capable vehicle and that’s great. He makes some really strong points about it. My beef with LR goes back a long ways, I would have liked to see a more affordable, rough and tumble truck. I would have liked to see it with a solid rear axle, real bumpers and a top that came off.
The sticker price on all seven of my rovers over twenty two years differed by just nine grand. So yeah, I’ll admit that I’m too cheap to embrace a price hike like this.

David is attacking the vehicle, albeit quite harshly. But you and Paul are directly attacking him. My guess is that Umberto doesn’t give a rat’s ass whether David likes it or not. Let’s just try and take this down a notch or two, shall we?

For the record, b4 Brady left, the Pats were my team. And a pic does tell a thousand words. Love those fender flares...

I'm good. I can be done complaining about something I can't change. Agree with your points above. Cheers

crv.jpeg

ps. the pic is an rd1 (early model CRV and not the new Defendre)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM