Another hitch thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick search for "hitch" and didn't see much info. I know the OEM is on Gen 3, but is it worth the price? I saw a couple aftermarket hitches (Atlantic British), etc for 1/3 the cost. All I need it for is a bike rack. As of now, I've been using the loadspace for mine and my fiancé's bike.

I guess what I want to know is does anyone have experience with the AB hitch or any other Non-OEM hitch? I found a new, Non-OEM for $175 shipped. Looks similar to the AB version.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/LR019990ABP.cfm

Is this it? For just a bike rack, that one would be fine. However, I did notice that the AB one is rated for 5k/500lb tongue. The LR one is rated for the full 7716/770. If you tow, I'd go with the LR one. If you are in the US, give Rover Land parts in Tampa, FL a look...they are a Land Rover junkyard that has a lot of newer ones, they might have a used LR hitch.

I have the OEM one and it works well, I've towed cross country with it before and have used it with a bike rack.

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey CMGRover, yes that one from AB, and I also saw a couple on eBay for $200 shipped and $175 shipped as attached pictures (from eBay ads)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 38

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And this one...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 32

Spoonito

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the multi posts... Some reason I can't post multiple pics from my iPhone. Anyway I'm used to small cars where I have never added a rack (or hitch) and have only had the Rover since Feb. So I'm new to cars that are actually functional...

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reese also makes a bolt on hitch, I've seen it on a couple LR3's.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Aussie one, $700ish.

Attachments

• IMG_8173.jpg
    IMG_8173.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 35

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the OEM hitch is pricey, but the way it functions is awesome. All you have to do is jam it into the slot, it locks itself in place, and you take the key out. Super fast.

I use an OEM hitch for my bike carrier. I don't keep the carrier on all the time, so the hitch receiver comes on and off frequently. It's nice that I don't have to remove any bolts to take the receiver off.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I will bite the bullet and spent the extra $200 to get the OEM. That's what I have and works great. I been using the same one since I got my 2008 LR3. Who knows, you may get a boat or find the need to pull something heavier than 5000#. I have seen the AB one in person, and they look kind of "wimpy". I also like to remove mine when not in use and it is just easy to remove/install the OEM compared to the bolted one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635